We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Platanias a suitable resort?

hey,

A group of us ages 19 ish are planning on going to crete on holiday this summer, around the last week of june. We're finding it hard to find a resort suitable as we want lively nightlife whilst also having a nice beach with things to do, not too trashy!

Making it harder, we also need to be relatively near chania airport, not herraklion!..

We have come across Platanias and was wondering if anyone had any info/tips?

Thanks! :D

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

You sound like the target market for Platanias. Plenty of nightlife, bars, tavernas, fast food, shopping etc. Miles of beach, continuos with surrounding resorts. Good frequent bus service into Chania city (runs all night in high season). Off you go then.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Yep, sounds good to me too. Agia Marina, just next door, is good as well. Both are very popular with Scandinavian visitors.

Just a slight note of caution for the inexperienced, there are 2 resorts with the same name, one near Chania and one near Rethymnon - make sure you book the right one (although the one near Rethymnon is good too, and has the famous Sky Park bar/restaurant/club/takeaway.)

Here is a link to a drive starting in Platanias and driving along the main road through Agia Marina to Chania:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l94XHIGv_U

Chania, Greece
Level Contributor
898 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

As far as I know there is no Platanias near Rethymnon, it's called Platanes There is also a Platanos near Falasarna.

As for Platanias, it seems to be the right place for what the OP want. Pretty laid back but lively (and without drunken Brits)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Jean, I agree about the name, but quite a lot of tour operators and others call it Platanias, so I stand by what I said.

Even the TA forum is called Platanias!! And there is lots of confusion between the two places - look at some of the posts!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1075560-i17642-…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g635605-i11571-P…

Google earth also calls it Platanias. Maybe gerlion can comment if he sees this?!

Edited: 25 January 2014, 17:51
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Thanks very much for all the info and links etc! Seems like an ideal place!

Thank you all :D

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

I'm planning on travelling here with my boyfriend in July, we've booked a nice looking apartment in Ano Platanias which I understand is a bit quieter?! Just want to check it is a nice 'resort,' ie not too Kiss-Me-Kwik as that's really not what we're after. We will have a car for the 10 days so travelling around during the day won't be an issue, but we love traditional Greek food rather than tourist-trap fare. Will we find that here or is it mainly catering to the young tourist market? We love Scandinavians so it's good to hear it's popular with Danes rather than Brits :-) Thank you

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

journo2710, I think Jean hit the nail on the head:

<< Pretty laid back but lively (and without drunken Brits)>>

...and she lives there (or nearby), so I'd go with her opinion!

Edited: 26 January 2014, 01:40
Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Hello my friends!..(i'm quite in a mood tonight, can't really tell why...)

About Platanias of Chania: It is indeed the most lively resort area in Chania, 2nd might come Agia Marina, and then the rest nearby villages. But, in no way it is "alive" as Malia in Heraklion is, or Faliraki in Rhodes. So, if the last mentioned places is what Pat seeks, then i guess my friend you might be dissapointed. But if you look for a resort, that you would find people in their 20's, 30's (and according to that, the nightlife places for those) and a decent beach to swim and relax from the hangover the next morning, then Platanias is your place.

@Journo: Ano platanias is quiter than staying at a hotel that is on the main road (where most of the bars are established). So you will have your peace of mind at night. About food, you will find both categories as everywhere. Go for the good one.

Now, about Platanias of Rethymnon: We, the Cretans, usually call it Platanes. But it is a fact, that in most cases, in English it is referred as Platanias (on the internet, even on some road signs in the area). So, yes, it is quite common to get confused. Especially on the web, watch out: :Last year a customer of mine, had book an accomodation in "Platanias, Crete" as it was mentioned on the booking site. We went to platanias of Chania, at the hotel, where we both found out that there is another hotel with the same name in Rethymnon (which was actually not even in Platanes but in Sfakaki area). What a surpise!!!

Be well.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 22:36
isle of wight
Level Contributor
324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Hi,

I stayed in Agia Marina last year and walked into Platanias a few times. Both are very nice places and mainly Scandanavian tourists rather than Brits...Thats why we liked it so much to be honest!

As we are in our 40's with teenage boys we weren't looking for clubs, so l cant help you there, but certainly plenty of beach bars and restaurants to keep you busy.

Its is by no means a "kiss me kwik" resort, neither is it oldy worldy Greek village, but is very nice. Certainly on my list of places to visit again....The problem being, there are so many nice places on the Greek Islands l try a different one each time, so never end up returning anywhere ! LOL

Im sure you will all enjoy it

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Platanias a suitable resort?

Hi,

I can recommend Platanias for you guys, I've been there two times in early June and the nightlife was quite good. There were a couple of noisy (or "lively") nightclubs where you can dance as well, and many many bars to choose from! The beaches are very nice too. I think the nightlife will be even more lively towards the high season :)

And definitely visit Chania city! It takes about 15-20 mins from Platanias to Chania city center and it costs about 15 euros (with a cab). Great place to do some shopping. Also bigger nightclubs there, but I must say, I didn't even want to go in because the music was too LOUD. I enjoy bars and clubs where I can chat with people without shouting in their ear :)

Get answers to your questions about Platanias
Recent Conversations