We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

imerovigli vs firostefani

California
2 posts
Save Topic
imerovigli vs firostefani

hello, my husband and i will be in santorini at the end of may. has anyone stayed in both imerovigli and firostefani? we were wondering which is the better town to stay in, if there is much of a difference? we are also trying to decide between hotel ira (firostefani) and afroessa (imerovigli). thanks in advance!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: imerovigli vs firostefani

Hi!!!!Not a big difference..Firostefani is closer to Fira and Imerovigli closer to Oia...but actually one is next to the other...FIRA-FIROSTEFANI-IMEROVIGLI

I would prefer Afroessa from Ira...i think it is better hotel,pus its location is breathaking....but it has a lot of stairs...so if you mind the stairs a lot change to Ira...which has less stair to climb ...but also keep in mind that allways more stairs means better views of the volcano and th cladera..so if you are not really old you will not regretit; )

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,661 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: imerovigli vs firostefani

We've stayed in both places during our various visits, which also took place in late May.

Which is better? That's a matter of preference and opinion; we thought they were both terrific. We've stayed in Imerovigli once and in Firostefani twice; though we enjoyed Imerovigli, we found Firostefani to be far more convenient and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again on a return visit (or stay in Oia for a change; we haven't stayed at a hotel there yet). But we probably wouldn't rush back to Imerovigli.

Is there much of a difference? I'd say yes. As Gas has mentioned, Firostefani is closer to Fira (a 10- to 15-minute walk along the clifftop footpath), so it's easier and faster to get to/from all the shops, restaurants, bars, galleries, museum etc. in Fira. Imerovigli is another 15+ minutes' walk beyond Firostefani -- and much of that is uphill. It may not seem like a substantial difference, but it certainly will feel like it when you walk back to your hotel after a big meal and drinks in Fira. Even if you tend to walk/hike a lot (as we do), the walk can feel extremely tedious and exhausting at the end of a long day of sightseeing. There was more than one night we cursed ourselves for picking a hotel so far from Fira!

Firostefani has more to offer in terms of restaurants and shops: Vanilia, Remwi, Il Cantuccio and Aktaion are four popular restaurants at Firostefani Square; only steps away are two convenience stores (selling everything from food and wine to postcards and stamps), an art shop, a coffee shop/creperie/dessert place (called Fresh Cafe, if I recall correctly), and a travel/tour/ferry ticket office. There are more restaurants and shops, plus car rental offices, close to Firostefani on the main roadway that runs between Fira and Oia. Imerovigli has only a few restaurants/bars, one or two art shops/galleries, and no other shops that I can recall, all spread out along the clifftop path. However, there are some convenience stores, food shops and car rental places along the main road through Imerovigli. (Also, we found that in late May a couple of the Imerovigli tavernas had yet to open for the summer season, reducing the restaurant selection even further.)

Imerovigli is considerably more peaceful and quiet because it's farther from Fira than Firostefani, and doesn't get as many tourists wandering along the footpath. Firostefani never seemed "noisy" to us, by any means, but Imerovigli was extremely serene.

The views are spectacular from hotels in both areas, though if you're walking along the footpath, Firostefani is considerably more "built up" in places, so there are stretches of pathway from which you cannot see the caldera, volcano, sea etc. By comparison, most of the footpath in Imerovigli offers tremendous views of all that beautiful natural scenery, while also overlooking the various hotel properties that cascade down the cliffside.

Some -- but not all -- hotels in both areas enjoy wonderful sunset views. At some hotel properties in Firostefani, the sunset is blocked by Skaros Rock in Imerovigli (which, by the way, is worth exploring if you enjoy hiking; it's also a great sunset viewing location). Similarly, sunset views are blocked for some hotels in Imerovigli by the cliffside, which juts out right where the Petra Honeymoon Villas property is situated. If having a sunset view from your hotel room is essential, be sure to check with your hotel to ensure that the room you plan to book does have a sunset view.

If you wind up choosing a hotel in Firostefani, be sure to take a walk along the path to Imerovigli and even beyond; the views are amazing. (You can actually keep on walking all the way to Oia -- that trek will take between two and three hours and is a wonderful scenic hike if you enjoy walking.)

I'm sure you'll enjoy staying in either location -- as long as you don't mind climbing up and down a lot of steps (as Gas pointed out)!

California
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: imerovigli vs firostefani

Wow, thanks guys so much. Since reviews at both hotels were really positive and with your very helpful, useful information, we are trying out both areas and both hotels. We'll be starting off in Firostefani to familiarize ourselves with the entire area, then off to Imerovigli for even more quiet, etc. to end our entire trip. Thanks!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: imerovigli vs firostefani

Good decision,dsvtec97,let us know for your experience,

Enjoy!!!

5. Re: imerovigli vs firostefani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 13:15