We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fira or firostefani?

Which Firostefani hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
fira or firostefani?

I'm planning my trip to Santorini in early September, and would like some advice as to whether it would be best to locate a place to stay in Fira or Firostefani? Any suggestions for 3 star accomodation would be welcomed! Caldera views preferable

Thanks!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: fira or firostefani?

Fira is best

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fira or firostefani?

<< Fira is best >>

Because???????????????

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fira or firostefani?

I won't comment on hotels in either place because I don't know enough about them.

Fira is the main town and is always manically busy, stuffed to the gills with tourists, day-trippers, cruise ship visitors, traffic etc.

Firostefani is about 15/20 minutes away from Fira and a lot quieter. A lot of people prefer Firostefani because for this reason - it's close enough to Fira to be accessible for the bars, restaurants, clubs etc, but far enough away to offer a bit of privacy and quiet.

To get the best hotel recommendations, could you please let us know what your maximum nightly room budget is please? The whole star system doesn't really mean much here - a lot of owners will give themselves the star rating they think their hotel warrants, based on the facilties available, it's a bit of a minefield really.

Martin

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: fira or firostefani?

In my opinion the best,most picturersque and most charming place to stay in Santorini is Oia.I fell in love!Fira is very busy.I don't know about Firostefani but it's quite a long to walk to Fira and difficult especially at night.If you are going to do this route on foot,then i think it's not the best choice.If you are not considering Oia at all i would say Fira!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fira or firostefani?

Hi Pvanwky,

Fira is the hub of the island - the main village and as such does tend to be much busier than the others. It will still be very busy in early September. With the exception of caldera views you haven't indicated what you are wanting so its difficult to suggest where will suit you.

As Martin says Firostefani is a lot quieter, its a 15 minute walk from Fira. Its an ideal place to stay if you want to be close by Fira without the chaos and noise. It isn't a long walk or even arduous (except maybe in the midday sun) - sorry Greg I don't agree - take the central path at night time instead of the cliffside path as its so much easier to negotiate. Actually unless its early in the morning I always use the central path just because its quicker as less people tend to use it.

You need to indicate your price range (per night) if you want hotel recommendations because the star system IMO isn't applicable on the Greek islands.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fira or firostefani?

Personally, I would choose Imerovigli as the place to stay. It is close enough to walk to Fira for the action if desired although you might want to grab a taxi on the way back as it is all up-hill. The views of the caldera are fantastic and it is very quiet. There are a limited number of tavernas and a mini-market withing walking distance of the village.

Karen

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: fira or firostefani?

15 minutes' walk from Firostefani to Fira is not "quite a long walk", and there is nothing whatsoever difficult about the walk. If you want easy access to Fira's nightlife that's where you should stay to avoid the crowds and traffic in Fira.

8. Re: fira or firostefani?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 23:28
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
145 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fira or firostefani?

I'm in Santorini right now. We're staying in Firostefani with a caldera view and we walk into Fira 2-3 times per day/night. It's a very easy 15 min walk. We usually take the central path which is inland from the caldera because it's faster and flatter, shaded from the sun and the heavy evening winds and much quieter. Fira is very, very touristy and crowded, especially when cruise ships are in port (7 yesterday!) and I would imagine very noisy especially at night.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fira or firostefani?

7? The local businesses will have had a field day, fleecing all those poor unsuspecting saps of every last euro on their overpriced food, drink and tourist tat.

Martin