We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perissa to Fira and Oia

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Perissa to Fira and Oia

Hello,

If staying in Perissa, how far away by bus is Fira and Oia? Is it possible to walk? Are there busses that run from town to town?

I will be there at the end of July. Thank you!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

From Perissa, it's about 20/25 minutes to Fira. To get to Oia, you'll need to get another bus from Fira, about another 20/25 minutes. Remember, everything has to pass through Fira.

The bus is regular with extra services during the peak holiday season. For the quickest journey, try to get the express service - the norml service take a while longer as it calls at many of the villages en route.

Here's a link to the local bus company's site, with timetables etc. Please note that the timetables change throughout the season as extra services are added. You can get the most up to date timetable from the bus station office in Fira, or any of the local travel offices in Perissa. Also, some of the local businesses display them, namely Dorians Pub in Perissa.

http://www.ktel-santorini.gr/

http://ww.dorianspub.com/

Martin

Edited: 07 March 2011, 18:36
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

Your hotel will also have details of the bus timetables. If in a hurry, you can always consider a taxi, which would take 30-35 mins all the way from Perissa to Oia.

It's not possible to walk from Perissa, but you can take a bus to Fira, and walk via Firostefani and Imerovigli to Oia, or walk to Imerovigli and catch the bus to Oia from there.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

Hey and welcome linfer:) I know we do walk allot here..and although you can of course walk anywhere there is a road, don't know if you'd want to..quite a walk from the beaches up to the caldera villages;-) A popular walk you may want to consider is the one between Oia and Fira..in late July you just may get there faster walking;o) Have fun..and EnjOY!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

If you're prepared for a long walk of around 12 miles you can walk from Perissa to Oia but in July it will be extremely hot. I wouldn't even think of attempting it once the sun was high in the sky. If you start out around 6am then _MAYBE_ it's doable..........better you than me!!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

I want to thank you all so much for your imput!! It is so hard to decide where to stay--Fira, Oia, Perissa, Kamari! I still don't know! Any suggestions??

Thanks

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,363 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

Choose 3 hotels that you like in your budget range from each village, contact them and see which ones have a vacancy for your dates. That might help you decide.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

Excellent suggestion by BLL.

Also consider what you're most likely to want to do:

Spend time on the beach = Perissa or Kamari

Shopping and nightlife = Fira

Chilling out = Oia

Plus, who are you travelling with? If with your partner - any location will do (provided you both want the same kind of holiday) but Oia is best for romance. If with a friend - probably not Oia. If with children - Perissa or Kamari.

If you absolutely can't decide between chilling out on your balcony and lounging on the beach, and noise doesn't bother you or you enjoy a lively nightlife, go for Fira, as at least then you'll be more central and able to take buses to both Perissa/Kamari and Oia.

If you like the idea of a lively nightlife, but you think you may want a couple of early nights here and there, or some respite from the lights and buzz, and you don't mind a bit of a walk, consider Firostefani instead of Fira.

Here's another test: what do you see yourself doing early morning and early evening?

If a bit of shopping while it's cool on your way to finding a cafe/bar with a nice view = Fira

If heading to the beach/back from the beach = Kamari/Perissa

If sitting on your balcony enjoying the view with a cup of coffee and a pastry or a glass of chilled wine = Oia (or possibly Firostefani or even Imerovigli, depending on the view).

I doubt I've helped, but hey, you were confused to start with, so... ;-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

All our pleasure neighbor;) Lee's advise is always great/on the mark..and FWIW..and my 2 cents here.. think of Fira as a super mini crowded Times Square..especially in late July;-) May help you out a bit..lol!! Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

You have all helped me SO MUCH!! Thank YOU!

Tinsey, I am less confused...I will count out Oia because I am going with my two daughters ages 16 and 20..

BLL I will check out the hotels -- that will help with a decision

Litsa--I'm from NY so I know about Times Square! LOL

So it is either Fira or the beach area...

Perissa/Kamari---are they close to each other?? Which do you suggest??

How long of a bus ride to Fira? THANKS!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perissa to Fira and Oia

OK, you need a map of the island, here's one -

http://www.santorini-web.com/map.pdf

As you can see, Perissa and Kamari are in the SE part of the island, seperated by the Mesa Vouno mountain (the 'tail' of the embryo). To get from Perissa to Kamari (or vice versa) by bus, you have to go to Fira first and change buses. Or, there is a water taxi between the two resorts, but this only runs during the day.

Of the two, Perissa is quieter I think, also Kamari is nearer to the airport so can get quite noisy, especially in late July, the peak holiday period.

Which is best? Hard to say, it depends on what you want.

Kamari is (I think) a totally artificial resort, quite busy, no centre as such, very busy, especially in the peak holiday period.

Perissa has a bit more 'soul', in my opinion. It stretches quite a long way along the beach road, eventually merging into Perivolos. The centre of the village has a lot of really good hotels, bars and restaurants.

Both resorts are quite cosmopolitan and you'll find more Europeans than Americans - one of your countrymen refers to both resorts as 'English ghettoes', presumably, the Scots, Irish and Welsh have their own ghettoes somewhere :-))

As I said before, from Perissa to Fira, if you get the express bus, it's 20/25 minutes, about the same from Kamari.

Martin

Edited: 14 March 2011, 00:35
Get answers to your questions about Perissa
Recent Conversations