We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do the locals eat?

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Where do the locals eat?

Not long to go now! I have been reading the restaurant reviews and as we like authentic greek cooking rather than everything with chips, I wondered where the locals eat? Not only in Perissa, around the island as we will be travelling around and having a nice long lunch and dinner is a key part of our enjoyment.

Many thanks.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do the locals eat?

In Perissa, try God's Garden (ask for 'oven potatoes' in place of chips) and Ntomatini for mezes (Greek equivalent of tapas). A lot of places in Perissa are aimed at the Brit and European package holiday industry, and unfortunately, in some places, this means chips with everything. The oven potatoes are delicious though, try to get them if you can, I know GG do them because that's what I ask for in place of chips.

Martin

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do the locals eat?

Beware, I had the locals tell me of their favorite place, I'm sure they get great food there, only to begin to think that theirs a huge difference between what they give to the locals as opposed to what they give the tourist. I'm sure its an isolated accurance but something to think about. Myself and another hotel guest mentioned our "being ripped off feeling" and asked that the restaurant no longer be reccomended to the guests!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do the locals eat?

I don't know the name of it but in Fira on the road to Karterados, somewhere between the bus square and the soccer field is a small restaurant where you can go for traditional Greek food, to eat there or take-out.. It's on the left side of the street if you're heading towards Karterados. I remember there were a few tables outside and just a few inside as well. The food is typical Greek cuisine prepared in advance and kept hot in steam trays.

Edited: 16 September 2011, 00:58
Firostefani, Greece
Level Contributor
352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do the locals eat?

BLL, maybe you are thinking of Spitiko?

There is also Gefseis Elladas in Karterados, Aktaion in Firostefani, Metaxi Mas in Exo Gonia.

GREECE
Level Contributor
24 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do the locals eat?

Selene in Pyrgos, Saltsa in Fira, Kritikos in Kamari, Metaxi mas in Exo Gonia, Psaraki in Vlyhada, Anemomilos, Skala and Laokasti in Oia

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do the locals eat?

Hi IslandGirl. I don't know the name. I stopped in there twice with a Greek friend who was picking up food to take home with him. I was impressed with the quality and selection. This is not your typical tourist restaurant, definitely more for locals, small and more for takeout than for a sit-down meal.

Another vote for Laokasti in Oia. It's where I go for most of my restaurant meals.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do the locals eat?

In Oia also: Roka, Argonautis, Krinaki and Finikias Place (both in Finikia).

Fira, Greece
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where do the locals eat?

I think you're talking about Kyra Niki.....if so, yeah its great.

IN fira, try Ouzeri near the cathedral, Kapari on the main road towards firastefani, Naoussa near the cable car.....all good traditional fare.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where do the locals eat?

No, not Kyra Niki. It's just a little "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant, easy to miss.

Princeton,nj
Level Contributor
126 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where do the locals eat?

In fira on the left side as you are facing toward firastefani near the fira bus stop you will see the small hole in the walk gyro place. I think it is called "o'gyro". They make mean lamb gyros there. We ended up going there two nights in a row and there is usually a line of locals at that place which is usually a good sign.

Get answers to your questions about Perissa
Recent Conversations