We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash card

Which Perissa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Cash card

Havn't stayed here before so not sure how to take my money. Usually have a cash card but is there anywhere to draw cash from. Are travellers cheques ok or just take cash ?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash card

Hi,

In general Travellers Cheques in Europe are history. Fewer places are changing them and the exchange rate is usually poor if you include the commission.

I do not know where they are but there are several ATMs in Santorini judging by previous questions.

We usually take Euros (changed in the UK) and some Sterling as back up that we change in our resort. We also take a debit card as back up to our back up.

Note that in general the Greek banks do not charge for using their ATMs but your bank will probably levy a charge. Pop in and check.

Bob

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,406 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash card

I used the ATM on the main road in Perissa. I haven't taken TCs to Greece for years now. Last time I took them the fees for changing them were quite high.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash card

Thanks very much for your advice

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash card

There are plenty of ATMs in Perissa.

Don't bother with TCs - some places won't exchange them any more and those that do charge a fortune.

Take enough in cash for the first day or so then just use your debit card as you would in the UK - just about everywhere takes them now, but some smaller places have a minimum spend, just like the UK really. There are some smaller places here who won't accept a card if it's for less than £5 or £10 due to Bank charges. The same in Perissa.

Martin

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash card

Thanks Martin

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash card

Is there a bank in Perissa to be able to change £ as I was thinking of taking some euros and cash, with a debit card for back up

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash card

There are no banks in Perissa, you'd need to go up to Fira for actual banks, but there are several exchange agencies in the main street who will exchange your £ into €.

Martin

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,057 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash card

Thanks bigsnitch. Is the rate for euros better in Santorini or UK?

Level Contributor
107 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash card

Hi Martin,

This will be our 3rd time in Perissa but haven't been for a few years do they accept the travel money card from travel agents never used one before normally take TC's been told its just like a normal debit/visa card also where about is the cash machine is it near any where near Bobs Bar?

Many Thanks Nicola

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash card

I've never used one myself but then again, I've never heard anyone talk of these types of cards NOT being accept. From the little bit of knowledge that I have of them, they are to all intents and purposes exactly the same as a bank-issued Visa/Mastercard debit card.

The ATMs that I've used recently are -

Outside to Co-op, next to the Santa Irini bakery on the main road. From the junction at the top of the road by God's Garden, turn left, past the Atlas and it's a couple of hundred yards up the road.

There's another on in the main street, just a bit down and on the opposite side to Bob's.

I used both in June with no problems.

Martin

Get answers to your questions about Perissa
Recent Conversations