We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

Can anyone give an approximate time for this? We have booked a restaurant in Oia and would like to know how much time to allow? We will be getting a taxi back to Perissa.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

Going by the timetable, assuming (at a guess) your reservation is for 19.30, I'd get the 18.00 from Perissa to Fira (timetable allows 30 minutes); and then from Fira get the 18.40 to Oia which is due to arrive at 19.00.

ktel-santorini.gr/ktel/…timetable-summer-eng

This guessworks doesn't allow for any buses departing late or the bus to Oia getting caught in traffic at the bottleneck at the beginning of Oia, which is possible as getting towards sunset "all roads lead to Oia" on the island.

The buses may also be very busy (think, standing room only) at times.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

I would actually go a bit earlier if you can. I've seen buses full to bursting leaving Perissa on the way up to Fira for the nightly sunset circus. And even though they're happy to pack people onto the bus until you feel like you're on a rush hour tube train, when they physically can't get anyone else on they'll just drive straight past the bus stops leaving people waiting for the next one.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
lancs
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

Thanks you Martin and Kennydon. You have been so much help so far. Might treat ourselves to a taxi up to Oia then. It is a special treat as it will be for my fiftieth birthday. Seems so weird saying that! Any idea of cost up there? Don't fancy braving the bus in the heat for my special meal. Forgot about having to change at Thira as well.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 13:35
Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

To cut down on costs, you could always get the bus from Perissa to Fira, see how busy the buses are, and if they are - the taxi rank is right next door.

Not sure on taxi costs, however. Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
lancs
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

No worries. Yes could get the bus to Thira.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

It's been quite a while since I used the taxis on Santorini, and the current website doesn't appear all that clear to me as far as prices go. You're probably talking €20 to €30 I guess, maybe someone else can give a better idea.

If it was me going up to Oia for a special birthday dinner, I think that as we'd be splurging on the restaurant anyway, the extra cost of a taxi there and back would be well justified. Presumably, you're going to be putting on posh frocks etc. - the thought of being herded like cattle on full buses in that heat vs. a private taxi with air con and getting dropped off at the door - no contest.

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

A taxi all the way to Oia will probably be the way to go.

To be fair though - all the buses I've used in the last few years have had air conditioning.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
lancs
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

Go on then you've both twisted my arm taxi both ways it is! I take it the drivers will all know where Kastro is?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

They might, I don't :)

Although I've heard of it. Chances are the taxi won't be able to drive all the way up to it as much of Oia is pedestrian only.

I'm sure our Oia expect, Brotherleelove, will probably be along and can answer it.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel time on bus from Perissa to Oia.

They'll certainly know better than I do - I'm not familiar with the layout of Oia, They may have to drop you at the start of the pedestrianised area and you may have to walk (but it's a BEAUTIFUL walk), I'm sure brotherleelove will know exactly where it is.

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Perissa
Recent Conversations