We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serifos or Sifnos??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Serifos or Sifnos??

Hello everyone, I will be in Greece this summer and am planning a short 3 day island vacation. Something close to Athens. I have been to Mykonos, Santorini and the Saronic islands and wanted something new. I came across Sifnos and Serifos but the web doesn't provide much information on either. I am looking for a place that is lively, but not nearly as wild as Mykonos. Which of the two - Serifos or Sifnos - would you say is better suited for accessibility to beaches, cafes, restaurants, maybe even a lounge or two? I will be travelling with a cousin at the end of July. Any suggestions (even if it is to a different island altogether) are greatly appreciated!!

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serifos or Sifnos??

Hi, Neither have airports so you'll need to look at www.gtp/gr for the ferry schedules from Piraeus which suit your dates. You're getting into the high season so it would be wise to book the accommodation in advance; Booking.com would be a start.

Serifos (which I prefer) is the quieter of the two. The ferry port of Livadi is where most of the rooms, tavernas etc are. As you arrive you can see the white houses of the Chora tumbling down the hill side. A number of nice beaches within walking distance. If you want to explore the island , hire a car.

Sifnos( which many people prefer) is also very pleasant ,busier, but with a decent bus service for getting around. Of course extend your trip to a week you could visit both, they're only an hour apart on the ferry.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serifos or Sifnos??

It is a few years since I've been to either Serifos or Sifnos so things may well have changed in the interim but Serifos would certainly be my choice for a return visit. Livadi has plenty going on to keep you amused and is much more laid back than Sifnos (not that Sifnos isn't laid back as well). Good beaches within walking distance which, from memory, is more of a problem on Sifnos.

I'd try and avoid travelling to either island on a Friday as both are popular with Athenians doing a weekend away and for the same reason avoid returning to Athens on a Sunday. The ferries get booked up at weekends as does the accommodation in high season but arriving midweek without pre-booked accommodation will mean a trapse round as accommodation owners don't (or didn't when I was there last) meet the ferries.

Not sure that I would bother with a car on either island - it hardly seems worth it to me.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
876 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serifos or Sifnos??

I am a big Sifnos fan and have been there many times. To me there is so much more to do and see in Sifnos that on Serifos. Beaches are no problem on Sifnos - there is an excellent beach in the port, Kamares, where we normally stay.

We were in Serifos once and it was a case of never again. I appreciate that it was one visit and one should not generalise from that. Accommodation was very expensive and the food was poor in the restaurants that we tried. Sifnos is renowned for its excellent food. Serifos seemed to be more geared up to cater for Greek tourists. The people were not very friendly either. See EastCoastTim's recent post on how friendly the Sifnos people are.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 19:40
concord nh
Level Contributor
3,195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serifos or Sifnos??

Another vote for Sifnos. Summer will have more open but also more tourists, but it's still not as over-touristy as most other Cyclades Islands. We based ourselves at Kamares but if we go back probably at or near Appollonia next time. Of course we were there in Oct. and the island pretty much was shut down with just enough open to keep us happy. We didn't go for nightlife or shopping, just wanted to get a more real Greek island than Santorini, Mykonos or the other "big" tourists islands. I think you'll like Sifnos.

5. Re: Serifos or Sifnos??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Serifos