We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Petri - Thalassa

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
267 reviews
Save Topic
To Petri - Thalassa

Hi Everyone

I gather that the lady who used to run the To Petri Taverna in Petri village has now opened the Thalassa in Petra. We are keen to try it. Does this mean that To Petri is now closed? Fancied going up there for a meal and to watch the sunset. Maybe we will try Achilles Well instead.

I have a really long list of recommended places to eat and drink. Think we need to go for a month at least! LOL !

Yiamass. Jean

Panagia Glykofilousa
Churches & Cathedrals
Lesvos Taxi Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Number 1 - Calypso Boat Excursions
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

Yes - "To Petri" was certainly closed last October as reported by friends of mine. But it was run by a lovely family, so I expect their new venture down in Petra will be just as good a place to eat. Hope they still do stuffed courgette flowers & pork with lemon sauce - YUM!! It is still worth going up to Petri for the sunset/view even if you don't eat there.

Another good place for the sunset is "Vafios Taverna". It is indeed difficut trying to fit in all the eating possibilities!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

Dear Jean,

Eleni and her daughter Maria are running their new restaurant Thalassa close to the soccer stadium in Petra and of course they had their previous restaurant in Petri for years which many multicultural tourists used to eat there every summer season!

Good food always and on top of all they still carry on the original greek authentic recipes!

Kali orexi kai as exoume ena kalo kalokeri...

London, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

Just not to forget, also this year Eleni's and Maria'a old restaurant in Petri will be serving food for everyone for the second year of course, under the managment of new owners!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

Deffo the best food on the island!! Proper Greek kitchen, WYSIWYG, family recipes. Nice to hear that someone is also running a business still up in Petri - we have always had a car so usually driven up there or called in whilst out walking in the surrounding hills. Always saw people walking up from Petra of an evening. Quite a trek, which spoke volumes for the quality of the fare!!

Perhaps when my friends visited the taverna up at Petri last October it was just by chance that they were closed that day.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

Thanks again Tsipouro and lesvospolitis

Will definitely try Thalassa and perhaps the To Pertri and give the new owners a chance. Planning a visit to Vafios in any case as it's hubby's birthday just before we go. Their menu is online from last year. How on earth we will chose what to have I don't know but looking forward very much to it all.

Jean

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,689 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

AT "Vafios Taverna" you cannot go wrong really, but the Baked Stuffed Lamb (traditional local dish) & the Gastras Lamb have been thoroughly tried & tested!! Go hungry!!

7. Re: To Petri - Thalassa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 22:19
Get answers to your questions about Petra
Recent Conversations