We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

uk
Level Contributor
278 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

hi all, could you please post me web sites in petra or near by that will drop off in petra, i have had a look on the net, i only book local people, not big companies,

thank you

carol :)

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

Hi Carol

We used Homerus Car Hire in Petra, along the beach road, on the left as you face in the direction of Anaxos. The guys there were very friendly and polite, and we hired twice from them for three days at a time. First car was a Getz, second time was an i-10, both in good condition, both with aircon and both only cost us €20 per day.

If you look on Rob and Carol's map on their thread, you will see Homerus marked on there.

http://www.homerus-rentals.com/

Edited: 09 February 2013, 17:07
South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

The local business run by Allison & Costas (Lesvos Car Hire) always gets good reviews - am sure someone will post a link to them for you. Carol - pleased to see you plan to use a local outfit - much better personal service for you & support for the local economy.

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

Hi

We are going to Skala Kallonis in may, is it better to hire a car before we get there or wait, we do not need one at airport.All so where best to hire there many thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

Hi Maryann

I have visted Skala Kalloni but not stayed there. In May, all the car rental firms will be after your business so leave it till you arrive in resort and get a good deal for yourselves.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

If you don't need a car from the airport (assume you have transfers there & back so can save yourself the trouble of having to drive through Mytilini staright after a flight & the responsibility for getting back to the return flight on time of course) then best to hire in resort. You can have a walk around SK & see what is available locally, or can arrange for one of the island companies to deliver to your hotel. I don't have personal experience of SK hirers but am sure someone will.

Here's a couple of general sites for the island

www.rentacar-guide.gr/links.asp?category=19

http://www.e-lesvos.com/en-main2.htm

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car hire

We have used Lesvos Car Hire and know Allison and Costas and like many can recommend them. When we contacted them early last year they did a good deal for three days car hire. We got a Hyundai i10 but ended with an older 'hero's for the first day.

http://www.lesvoscarhire.com

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire

Hi Maryann

I was in Skala Kalloni for several times and I have used Tsalis Car Rental Company. Tsalis has its office in Skala Kalloni and in Petra too. Here is a website:

www.tsalis-lesvos.gr

You can also write an e-mail: info@tsalis-lesvos.gr

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire

As I said above, contacting a car rental place before travelling may save money. I know we got money off for booking a car in advance with Lesvos Car Hire (based in Anaxos but drop cars of in other places including the airport). We went in May and booked the car probably Jan/Feb last year.

Also if you want something different it's worth booking. The 'Jeep' type vehicle we had (a bit old) for one day was one of only a few they had (Suzuki Jimny). If you wanted say an automatic then there won't be so many of those since they are often small cars.

I am glad you're going for a local company - give the money to the locals.

Glastonbury, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire

Many Thanks

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,955 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire

I agree with rtj that booking in advance can secure you a real good deal. But in May you wil not have trouble finding somewhere that will offer a good price anyway & have availability. It really depends if you want to commit to particular days for the car hire or wait until you have got settled in, explored the locality & then decide to venture further afield. We have never had any issues with "minimum days" hire on Lesvos - have had cars anything from 2 days at a time to 2 weeks & even swapped part way through from a jeep to a car. This is where using local firms gives you most flexibilty & of course you will generally negotiate a better rate for a few days hire anyway.

Do get yourself a map - the best one at the mo for general driving is the Freytag & Berndt Lesvos 1:50 000 (ISBN 978-3-7079-1330-9) available from Amazon & good map suppliers like Stanfords.

Get answers to your questions about Petra
Recent Conversations