We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

Hi, Can any one advise if you can still smoke in the airport or is it banned?

Louise

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

You can smoke in Rhodes Airport - there are defined smoking areas inside - not sure about all other Greek airports akthough I know you can also smoke in Athens airport.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

I'd love to see the person who tried to tell the Greeks they can't smoke :-)

A few years ago I was on an internal training course with our company, based in London. One of the attendees was from the Pireus, Athens office. Half way through the first session he lit up and was told that he was in a 'non-smoking' building.

His reply was beautiful in its simplicity - "I'm Greek. I smoke" and so he did for the rest of the course.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

hi.

all airports in greece still have smoking areas.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

Ahhh Keitht..well said:-) I remember when the ban took effect on Olympic Airlines..it was one of the last airlines to kick in...to this day, after that 9+ hour flight from JFK.. upon landing, those cigs get lit before passport control...lol!! Enjoy all!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

its banned inside but before you book in you can still nip out for a smoke, once thru pasport control then no smoking at all sorry but thats latest update, from june 7 to 21 08

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

Did you go recently? The only reason I am asking as all the other posts say you can still smoke.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

I was last there January and as always,there were alloted areas for smokers..for sure!! There has always been smoking at this airport..to date..believe that coffee shop at arrivals is still packed with all the smokers coming off those long flights..lol!! ..and unless it's changed, there is a small area when you de-plane enroute to passport control that allows smoking..once in luggage retreival it's not..but as soon as you exit and are in the main hall, you find all the smokers b-lining to those coffee shops and stands!! Keep Enjoyin'!

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

i was there from 7th of june to 21st of june this year 2008, definitly no smoking in building, i was gagging for a smoke once i went thru passport control, so sorry you cant smoke in there anymore

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

That's news to me! I know every single coffee shop in that airport always had a smoking section..even past int'l passport control there's a coffee shop all the way at the end where everyone smoked before going to gate for boarding!! Oh well..will find out soon enough myself:-)) keep enjoyin' all!

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking at Simi airport Rhodes

I can recommend the inhalator thingys for those of you that will suffer from nicotine withdrawal on long flights etc.

You can buy a small pack for about £6 and it should see you through a return trip to anywhere.

Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town