We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

This cafe uses 2 beautiful Macaw parrots to attract customers but beware. We sat down and ordered 5 beers and a coke and were not asked what size we wanted. When the order arrived, we had 5 massive, one litre "boot" shaped glasses plus the coke. None of us wanted to drink this much beer but the waiters pretended not to understand when we protested that we wanted small glasses. In the heat of summer, who would order such a huge glass, knowing it would be warm within minutes?

We gave up and drank what we could, then asked for the bill. It came to an unbelievable 60 Euros!!. The same "boots" were advertised at another cafe for 5.50 Euros each. I'm not sure if this practice is widespread and out hotel owner had never heard of it but beware and always state the size of the drink you want. It's disappointing that the Parrot Cafe is giving a bad name to other Rhodes businesses.

145 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,122 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

It is not unusual that beers come in different sizes, and you state it yourself - always state the size of the drink you want.

Rhodes is a tourist town, and has been influenced among others by younger travellers who like to pour in big beers in the heat - thus ordering a beer on a hot day can be assumed to understand that you want the bigger size.

When you first have ordered your beer without specifying the size and it has been tapped and served, I can understand that they refuse to take it back.

Edited: 17 July 2010, 10:25
Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Yes, it's buyer beware all over the world but elsewhere in Rhodes we were always asked which size we would like. The 60 Euro bill was an added insult and we got the feeling that they had found a clever way to trick tourists into spending more.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Many places in Rhodes Town are out to catch tourists with rip off prices, especially the establisments with the staff outside trying to persuade you to visit with their confident and skilful chat up lines.

Visitors need to be on their guard and use common sense when visiting the tourist traps in the old town and the same also applies to some of the cafe's opposite Mandraki harbour.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Would that be the place called Socrates Garden, we went there in 2008 and it was lovely to sit in the shade surrounded by greenery and sound of running water, they had a bird on a perch inside the entrance, we were thinking of taking our grandaughter there when we return next month...will have to remember to tell them we want small beers.

mid wales
Level Contributor
260 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Sounds more like the Blue Lagoon I think.

Horsham,UK
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

I've often had a drink in the Socratous Gardens, and I've never seen them

provide 'boots' of beer. It is a reputable establishment and the waiters always

ask for what size of drink you require.

Edited: 17 July 2010, 18:27
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

........or you could ask for a bottle?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

It's The Blue Lagoon for sure, not Socs Garden John.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

We went on an evening trip to Rhodes Town from Lindos and the guide on the coach warned us about this practice of serving large glasses of beer if you didn't specify exactly what you wanted.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!

Oh Dear, I hope it is not the Blue Lagoon you're talking about & I would be quite sad if it's gone down hill in such a way. That was effectively our 'crew bar' when in Rhodes twice a week (10 yrs ago now mind) - I never ever saw a boot. I've been back in previous years & always had warm welcome - we did prob. spend a few quid in there over a long time, but I was still amazed to be recognized nearly 2 yrs later. Irene was running it.... maybe it's changed hands?

The universal sign language of 'small' & 'draft' is a must in Europe though, until you know exactly what they charge for what ;-)

Reply to: Avoid the Parrot Cafe - beer ripoff!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town
Recent Conversations