We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rhodes town or ixia

Which Rhodes Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Uk
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
rhodes town or ixia

Hi, would like to visit rhodes in september for 2 weeks and have narrowed down to rhodes town or ixia

i would like some feedback on where to stay

we like plenty to do, nice bars, restauarants, good quality hotel with pool, prefer B&B, dont mind walking to & from centre of action, probs wont rent a car but may be keen to do boat trips

ixia looks like it has better hotels but how far to Rhodes town for a night out and what cost in a taxi (i am also worried it is just a strip of hotels and no atmosphere)

rhodes town looks fab with much more to do but hotels dont look as nice.

any feedback much appreciated

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Hi there

I guess it comes down to whether you want to stay by the sea or in an urban, albeit very pleasant, urban area. Ixia has loads of huge hotels and obviously can't hope to compete with Rhodes Town/Old Town for history and other things to do and see. Also, as you say you won't be renting a car. Rhodes Town makes a good choice as you are so close to both bus stations and getting around the island by bus is simple and cheap.

It's certainly not far from Ixia to the Town, but you'd need either a taxi or the bus. There'd be no contest for me - the Town over Ixia any time but that's my opinion of course.

Friends regularly stay at, and speak highly of the Spot Hotel in Old Town.

http://www.spothotelrhodes.gr/

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Hi, Sorry but I have to disagree with the above comments. Ixia may be smaller but it is absolutely beautiful - it can be as quiet or as noisy as you like as there's something for everyone. We've never hired a car as the public transport is very good, and the journey into Rhodes Town is about 10 minutes. Rhodes Town does offer more history but it's also noisy and crowded in the summer, and the shops are expensive. We think most of the hotels in Rhodes Town look old and tired (and ours certainly was - the plumbing wouldn't have looked out of place on Noah's Ark) compared to the newer ones in Ixia. The Olympic Palace and the Mare Blue Resort in Ixia are both fab, but it depends on what your budget is like. There is a an 'easy to find' array of restaurants in Ixia (because they're all on the main road, across from the beach) for differing budgets and it is definitely cheaper to eat here than in Rhodes Town. We've stayed in both places and Ixia wins hands down. If you want to go on a boat ride it's easy to book, and the operators will pick you up from your hotel and take you to the boat mooring free of charge. Everyone we know who has been to Ixia has loved it and we haven't heard one bad comment.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rhodes town or ixia

I'm not knocking Ixia, in fact, if you read my post, I didn't mention anything negative against it, so Idon't see how you can "disagree" with my post. I just gave an opinion as to where I would rather stay.

How can Rhodes Old Town be noisy? - no vehicles are allowed in except for taxis and the locals who flaunt the "no motors" rule. There are loads of places where you can dine relatively inexpensively in the Old Town, you just need to steer clear of the main squares and plazas where the restaurants hike up the prices on the basis of " eat here, we'll never see you again anyway".

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but don't rubbish my comments when I haven't said a bad word against Ixia.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Hey

I would choose Rhodes Town over Ixia every time. I have nothing against Ixia in any way and it is well located for the airport and Rhodes Town. It also has some nice hotels and benefits from cooling breezes due to its location.

However, Ixia is a 'purpose built' tourist resort and has no authentic charm or character. It is essentially a 'coastal strip' comprising of hotels, bars n restaurants.

Rhodes Town is a vibrant, cosmopolitan destination that oozes character and history. You have the Old Town on yr doorstep and all the significant places of interest. The two harbours are close by for a vast selection of boat trips around the island or indeed, visits to nearby Symi, Kos or even Turkey. The nightlife can be authentic or modern as u wish.

RT is a direct hub for public transport to the beautiful beaches of the East coast and in particular, Lindos, a must see! Particularly if u do not intend hiring a car.

Just my opinion

Your call

Mart

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Hi

We stay in Ixia every time we visit Rhodes, which is twice a year, but I too agree with what FugeeBlues says.

Ixia is just a strip of very nice hotels on the opposite, side of the road to the beach, but you will find that most of these hotels have fantastic clean pools for you to enjoy, and that nice cool breeze on the west coast is wonderful in August, as it just keeps the air moving around. And takes the edge off the summer heat.

Rhodes Town is a 10 min journey away, and is jam packed with charm , history, and atmosphere..

I would recommend Ixia as a great base to stay while you are in Rhodes.

Edited: 08 May 2011, 09:22
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rhodes town or ixia

I think It's all been said above, both resorts have good and bad points. I would agree that the Old Town at times can be busy and noisy. You don't need cars for that, the amount of day visitors can make the place pretty chaotic. That said It's a charming and beautiful spot, especially at night - very atmospheric.

One decider might be the hotel, like Mart and GB I too would choose town but you can often get more for your money in Ixia.

Uk
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Thanks for your comments everyone, my main concern with staying in the town was that the hotels look very 70's - i do like a modern clean hotel and while GB mentions the spot hotel and it looks lovely we prefer a hotel with a large pool as this is where you make friends during the day.

i can see the advantage to both places as Marcuschap72 so rightly points out. I dont mind if ixia is a bit personalitless as long as there are places to eat and drink occasionally-most of our early evenings would be spent in rhodes town anyway

storminorna thanks for recommendations in ixia-budget not an issue quality and distance to rhodes town are my priorities

think im leaning towards ixia with a view to travelling into rhodes town every other day so my next question is which "end" of ixia - do i stay? i have a fancy for the dionysos hotel as it is nearer to rhodes town and looks like it has some personality but is that away from any restaurants and bars in ixia as it looks to be more on a bare coastal road than say the atlantica princess or olympic palace

(any opinions on dionysos hotel??)

we have cruised before to rhodes town and visited lindos so have had a brief feel for this wonderful island

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Dionysos is a good hotel with lovely grounds but it's not actually on the coast road, it's just off the main road. A bit further from the centre of Ixia (maybe 10 minutes walk) but as you say closer to town, you can even walk to Rhodes Town in about 40-45 minutes.

Atlantica Princess is an excellent hotel in a great position, it's right by the beach but away from the busy main road. Plenty of good restaurants nearby and in walking distance of Trianda/Ialyssos for even more choice. It will mean you're that bit further from Rhodes Town though.

Uk
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rhodes town or ixia

Marcus, is there plenty to do in ixia centre such as nice mix of restaurants and bars? i was thinking we would have to go into rhodes town most nights for eats & drinks (we always go B&B in hotel) but if there is enough to do in ixia centre to have nice meal and 4-5 drinks on an evening then it makes sense to be more central than the dionysos

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,239 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rhodes town or ixia

It's not a huge centre but there is a choice of restaurants and bars on the main road and a few more down by the Atlantica Princess. Olympic Palace is the closest to the main strip but the Princess has a better position in my opinion.