We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to identify building

Memphis, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Topic
Trying to identify building

Can someone tell me what the name and significance of the building is at the corner of Panetion and Kleovoulou Square. It is a square building with a red roof, has an open courtyard, looks to be facing Panetion. Thanks.

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to identify building

Hi,

I know the building you mean - if you look down from the Clock Tower its between you and the Grand Masters Palace - it has trees growing up in a central courtyard. I think it is either the Loggia of St John (where the explosion originated that blew up the Palace) or the Turkish School??

Unfortunately I am one of those people who absolutely loves the Old Town and could probably tell you the location of most of the significant buildings based on description or photos but sadly I do not take in the history very well!!

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited: 17 June 2011, 07:14
Memphis, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to identify building

Thanks for the answer and ideas. I'll research the Loggia of St John, though it seems that was mentioned/identified across the square. I, too, thought it might be the Turkish School but there are ruins in front of it that I thought were the school. This was my second time in Rhodes and I'm ready to go back...I love walled cities. Thanks again for your help.

doncaster
Level Contributor
444 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to identify building

according to our map dave is right with the turkish school..debs

Memphis, Tennessee
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to identify building

Thanks, Deb. I've looked at a lot of maps but none that I've seen labeled that building. I guess I thought the school was on the other side of the mosque but this building certainly looks like it would be a school. I really appreciate the info. Rod

5. Re: Trying to identify building

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town