We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of a boot

Uk
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Price of a boot

Hi,

Please can someone advise on the price of the boots of beer?

Also how much is it for lunch in a restaurant e..g baguette and chips or pizza etc

thank you

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of a boot

Hi there

We fell for this trick many years ago, fortunately it wasn't my round though...;0) I don't know if the wellington boots are actually priced on the tariffs as the bar owners use them as a scam. You sit down, order a "large beer" which you assume will be 500ml and around €3-4, then get served with the boot, for which they will charge you pretty much what they think they can get away with.

We were charged €8 each but I'm sure people have posted on here to say they were charged as much as €12. Unless you actually want a "boot" and are prepared to pay for it, I'd just look for a place away from the main tourist squares where prices and quantities are much more affordable.

Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of a boot

suntanbeachlovex,

I notice from your other posts that you are a big fan of the boots of beer. There cannot be many visitors to Rhodes who count a boot of beer as the highlight of their visit!

Don't you find the chilled beer has gone warm before you have chance to finish the boot of beer?

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of a boot

we were scammed as well in the main square in old Rhodes town 3 years ago. They make a big smiley fuss of you to get you to sit down, we ordered "2 beers" and were served with steins. It all looked great fun at first but once the beers were served we had no attention whatsoever from the staff, not even when we asked for the bill, he just pointed towards the counter.. the bill was 20 euros. Never again !

Just walk a few yards into the back streets and you will get a fantastic meal and drink for a fraction of the prices on the square - and a better experience all round.

Edited: 30 January 2013, 13:11
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,825 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of a boot

The most important thing as others have said, is to make sure you know how much it is before you order!!

Also, the parrot bar in Rhodes Town has a very poor reputation:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g635613-i10933-k…

Please don't give them your custom!

Rhodes Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of a boot

GBfromDevizes got off lucky - a friend of mine had to pay 21€ for a "Boot" he didn't really want after ordering a big beer. And that was in 2010! As other posters have said - Avoid the Parrot Bar at all costs. and get out of the main squares, though if all you want to eat is Pizza and chips then just buy a slice from any of the kiosk type vendors. Generally about 1€ - 1.50€ a big slice

6. Re: Price of a boot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 06:16