We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute to Rhodes Town

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute to Rhodes Town

Hi, thinking of sorting a "last minute" week away either next week or week after. We would be staying in Rhodes town. Would a week be too long in Rhodes town? We do like a little sightseeing and spending time on a nice beach Our budget isn't large so could anyone tell me approx prices of eating out, drinks etc. We would like to visit Lindos - is this possible by local bus? Any idea of cost and how long it takes? Finally, if we don't manage to get booked for June, we would then sort out for September. Is weather usually nice around middle of Sept? Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Hosteria dei Cavalieri
££ - £££, Italian, Seafood, Mediterranean
Tamam
££ - £££, Greek
Mevlana
£, Cafe, Mediterranean, Greek
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

A week too long in Rhodes Town? Never! There's lots of sightseeing in and around the town, and being in the capital you have good transport links for bus/boat trips. The beach maybe isn't the greatest on the island as it's windy and fairly pebbly but nice enough all the same. There are buses to Lindos throughout the day though an early bus is advised, if you want to beat the crowds. Bus fare is only 5€ each way.

Being the capital it's really hard to advise on prices as there's something for all budgets, especially in the New Town, parts of the Old Town can be considerably more expensive. As a rough guide I've rarely paid more than 15-20€ for 2 courses with wine. Drinks prices again can vary wildly with hotels offering happy hours, 2 for 1 etc. whilst some of the smarter bars charge up to 7-8€ for a branded spirit and mixer.

As for September, it's a great month to visit with (usually) warm, settled weather and nice warm seas. A lot of regular visitors book September every year.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

Thank you Marcus C for answering all my queries. On looking at Rhodes online I was getting completely baffled trying to decide where to stay I.e. Kalithea/Ixia. Decided on Rhodes Town in the end. If we don't get there in next couple of weeks we will be booking for September. Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

Have you considered car hire? I found it less expensive than I'd thought (early May) compared to Croatia and Crete where I'd been at that time in previous years. It also gives you the flexibility to get off the beaten track, especially as regards beaches on the east coast (more sheltered than the west). And I think you'll have no problem in filling a week on Rhodes!!

Mentioned in this post
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Crete
Crete
Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

Hi Alcassienne. We hadn't considered car hire but it could now be a possibility. We have hired a car when in Crete, wasn't too expensive. Thanks for replying.

Mentioned in this post
Crete
Crete
Greece
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

Drive rent a car - which has an airport desk (with Budget) - hired us a Nissan - lowest group. It behaved impeccably!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

I agree with the other posters. And well done you on deciding to stay in town. We recommend to friends to do that all the time. Go out and about in the day, then lots to do and see in the evening instead of being stuck in a 'tourist only zone'.

I will be back in September too - great month to visit.

Have fun!

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

Thanks MrsVin for replying. Yes we decided on staying in Rhodes Town as there seems to be lots to see. We aim to see the rest of the island either on local buses or hire car. Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
8. Re: Last minute to Rhodes Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:16