We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Brackley, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Hi,

I'm staying in Ixia Rhodes in September, are there plenty of mobility scooter hire outlets? My own scooter is too large to take with me. Any ideas of the rates, and generally what's rRhodes like for disabled access?

155 replies to this topic
Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Hi Jeff,

Not been to Ixia so don't know the resort. I've had a good look on the web and can't find anywhere that does mobility scooter hire. To be quite honest I can't recall having seen one when I've been out there. As far as disbled access is concerned I wouldn't consider the buses that user friendly although there is a post from someone who took his own mini scooter with him that the taxi drivers were great. Could that be an alternative? Hire a mini scooter in UK and take that with you. If you were to get a taxi into Rhodes Old Town parts of it are a bit hilly but should be ok. If you went to Lindos once you got to the square you would be ok in the village itself but you'd never get it up to the Acropolis.

You could try e mailing the British Consulate in Rhodes to see if they can help.

Cheers

Dave

Brackley, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Thanks Dave, I've been looking on the web and can't find anything either.

I spent a day in Rhodes old town last year (was on a cruise), I managed fairly well on foot for about half of the day, then the MS kicked in and spent the rest of the day watching the world go by from a park bench (very enjoyable).

Taking a small scooter is a possibility, but these have small wheels, if I remember the old town correctly, it was all cobbles and high kerbs, small wheeled scooters are not ideal - my own 8inch wheel scooter is very big, and wouldn't fit on a bus or back of a taxi.

As far as Lindos goes, I was hoping for a donkey & cart.

I suppose I'll have to see what happens

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Hi again,

As you say the pavements in Rhodes Old Town aren't very user friendly. I have slight walking problems and find it a struggle at times.

As far as Lindos is concerned if you went by bus, either the local service or a coach trip, you'll get dropped off at Krana Square above the village. During the day there's a free shuttle bus down to the square and back. You can get a donkey up to the entrance to the Acropolis but it's a hard trex up to the Acropois itself and not used friendly when you get inside as you have to clamber over rocks etc. No pavements at all.

Best of luck and I'll keep looking.

Cheers

Dave

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

hi

i am starting a mobility scooter hire business in Rhodes this year.

If i can be of any assistance to you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

regards Clare

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Clare,

I think you might have found yourself a bit of a niche!! I can't recall seeing many mobility scooters but would imagine a lot of visitors to Rhodes would like to use and would make some areas, particularly in the Old Town, that would otherwise be inaccessible, accessible to them. Not sure how much use they would be with some of the road and pavement set ups around town though (large kerb drops, lack of ramps, signposts right in the middle of walkways, etc.)

Good luck with the new venture.

Dave.

cramlington
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Clare how is your mobility hire for scooters going we are in Pefcos from 1/9/12 and need one for my brother in law can you advise on cost

corby uk
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

can you send me details

richard.

Kent
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobility Scooter hire Ixia - Rhodes

Clare could you please send me details of your mobility scooter hire in Rhodes