We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

Which Rhodes Town hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

Hi All,

We returned from a two week holiday to Greece last night and I feel that I should tell everyone how wonderful the trip was. We spent a week on Crete, followed by about 5 days driving around the Peloponnese Peninsula, a visit to Delphi and a couple of days in Athens. We saw no evidence of protests, strikes, closures, violence or any other issue associated with the economic situation. A couple of gift shops at sites such as Delphi were closed (we heard because of cut backs) but everything else was up and running.

The people we met along the way were great, and although a few had some comments about the economic crisis, it was always an interesting discussion, and not at all confrontational.

Given that the weather was less than ideal, and that this is not peak season, some hotels/restaurants were closed. We believe these closures are normal for this time of year and are not a result of the economic situation. A few people we spoke with (we are in the tourist industry in Canada and are always interested in similar businesses elsewhere) felt that this upcoming summer season might be slower than normal. The feeling was that the international news is portraying Greece as unsafe and a risky vacation bet. Our experience was that this is not the case. In fact, our value for the money was great.

We recommend a trip to Greece now or when the weather improves. I hope that the economic situation improves given recent developments, and feel that this is the time to support the Greek economy with a visit.

Cheers.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,284 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

Hi p0rcupine, might be worth posting this on the general Greece forum as opposed to just Ixia, Rhodes if you're hoping to reach a wider audience.

Oh and regarding you last comment, I couldn't agree more!

Edited: 13 March 2012, 15:49
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

I realized as I posted it it went to the wrong forum. I re-posted to the general Greek forum.

Thanks.

Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

Thank you for this post. I am travelling from Canada in June with my young family & it is great to see a point of view from another Canadian. I've been to Crete back in '98 so a lot has changed since then & I'm headed to Rhodes this time.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

I really was disappointed in how negatively portrayed Greece is right now. I'm sure you'll have a great trip!

Cheers.

5. Re: Just back from a wonderful vacation in Greece!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Rhodes Town
Recent Conversations