We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel around rhodes by public transport

Which Ialyssos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
leicestershire
9 posts
Save Topic
travel around rhodes by public transport

Hi we are visiting Rhodes in June and staying in Ixia. We don't want to hire a car but would like to visit Ancient Ialyssos as well as Lindos.

Could anyone let us know if it is possible to travel to these places by public transport from Ixia or do we have to hire a car?

Thanks

Mary

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

Hi

Lindos is easy to do by bus or even boat! Get a bus to Rhodes town, then a bus from round the corner to Lindos. Boats are less frequent and more expensive. Bus fare from RT to Lindos is about €5.

Link to bus times follows to give you an idea, but check when you are there :

http://www.oasis-hotel.gr/buses/index.htm

Ancient Ialysos, on Filerimos hill, is about 250m above sea level. I'm pretty sure no public buses go up there, but you should be able to get a taxi from Ixia, it's not far so won't be too expensive. You could consider walking down, it's about 5 - 6km back down to the junction with the main road in the centre of Ialyssos. Alternatively I think you will have to ask the taxi to wait.

There may be tours which include it as a stop, but I'm afraid I have no knowledge of any - someone else may be able to help.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

Mary . I never seen it refered to as Ancient Ialysos. At the top of Filerimos hill Steve refers to, are the stations of the cross leading to a hugh cross you can climb up on the inside This was built by The Italians.There is also the ruin of a monastry

Maybe you meant Ancient Kamiros further down the west coast. It was built around 7th Century BC

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

Hi Mary

It is possible to get a bus from the harbour side of the market in Rhodes town to take you to the monastery at Filerimos. If you meant Ancient Kameros, you can also get a bus from Rhodes town from the main bus station. If I remember correctly it is a fairly limited service - twice or three times a day. If you do take the bus to Kameros, don't forget to take plenty of water with you, as there were no refreshments available when I was there last year.

Bob

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

tbebop, I hadn't heard it called that either, but it seems that ancient Ialysos and Filerimos monastery are one and the same place, or at least on the same hill:

www.visitrhodes.gr/showcontent.asp…

Mary, sorry for the incorrect info, looks like there is a bus service there after all.

Edited: 04 April 2012, 14:13
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,233 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

You've never heard of it being refered to as Ancient Ialysos really? I used to pass through Trianda quite a bit and I'm sure all the signs refered to Ancient Ialysos.

I think the monastery was built over most of it and I've been trying to find a photo I had of the visible remains but I think it was pre digital camera, so probably in a cupboard somewhere. I managed to find this photo online, don't expect anything too impressive! www.travel-rhodes.com/page.php?page_id=13

That said Filerimos is well wort a visit, the monastery grounds are beautiful in the right light and the views from the top of the cross are stunning. If you're staying in Ixia I'd go for Steve's recommendation and take a taxi up then possibly walk back down. My parents actually walked from Ixia up to Filerimos and didn't think it was a bad walk at all... but they were younger and fitter then, not so sure they'd attempt it now.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

Marcuschap, now you come to mention it, I seem to recall one of those brown signs somewhere, pointing to ancient Ialysos!

Now, I didn't recommend it as a walk up because I tried to do it once in August(!) Normally I'll go walking in Crete etc. at any time of the year without getting too hot, but the walk up there defeated me, I'm sorry to say. It was about 40C (or seemed it) and very unusually for that part of Rhodes, there was no breeze either. It was before the days of Google earth, so I didn't really have any idea how far it was, but I think I must have turned back about 1km before the top. Grr!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

Steve, we drove by the sign a few times last year and it definitely says, "Ancient Ialyssos".

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

You're right chaps, it is indeed known as Ancient Ialysos, has been for as long as I can remember, god knows what trev's on about, he's supposed to live here I thought.

Trev mate you've been rumbled

Rhodes
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

Another link about public transport on Rhodes with timetables, maps, bus stops. : www.rhodes-transport.gr

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel around rhodes by public transport

That's the great thing about this site - you never stop learning!

Bob

Get answers to your questions about Ialyssos
Recent Conversations