We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

I'm a single female traveling to Rhodes for the 1st time. I want to see all the sites. I think I'll just go on tours since I'm not that comfortable driving. Is that the best way you think? Are there any good excursions to Turkey? Will locals feel comfortable talking to a single female diner, or will they think I'm weird? I wouldn't mind getting "where to go" advice from locals, or having conversations during meals. I would welcome it. All advice is welcome!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Hi there, I've been solo a few times...you'll be just fine. You won't be made to feel weird. I find the Greeks charming and very courteous. Hope you have a fantastic time.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Hi there

I would really consider hiring a car, even if for just 3-4 days. You already have the advantage of being familiar with driving on the right so that's a big plus. Outside of Rhodes Town, traffic is free flowing and usually quite light. It gives you so much more freedom, it's possible to see multiple sights/places/attractions in a single day, it's more comfortable, and you won't face being herded around sites with loads of other people and you go ( and stop for photos) at your own pace.

As woody says, Greeks are polite and friendly, you'll find waiting and bar staff more than happy to practice their English on you and you will be completely safe. Do you know the sites you wish to visit? Happy to provide a list if required.

Lincoln, UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

I agree with the above. I would use taxis/buses to go to Rhodes Town, but the rest of the island is easy by car.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Did Michelle ever come back? She posted 4 days ago....

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,606 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

No Graham.

Michelle only made 2 posts this year both in August about solo travel

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Sorry - I didn't see all the updates. I will take Taxi's. It turns out that my mother is going with me. She is 75 so probably will not see all the sites. I am planning to spend about 2 days exploring Old Rhodes Town and going to Lindos. Not sure what else after that. I doubt my mother will go along for everything.

I was thinking about taking a ferry to Lindos, just to get on the water. Are there any "Must do" things outside of these two areas? Should I arrange for a car to meet at the airport before leaving, or are taxi's readily available. I do apologize for "disappearing". Not my typical style. Long story....

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Thank you! I feel pretty good about it now.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

I hope you both have a fantastic time x

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

Thank you. I know I will. Hope my Mom does too. :-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo traveler - 1st week in Oct

I know I will! I hope my Mom does too :-)

Edited: 23 September 2013, 04:25
Get answers to your questions about Ialyssos
Recent Conversations