We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

Hi. Were staying in Montalcino for 2 nights in May. Thinking about a visit to a winery to see the operation and then the traditional wine tasting before we buy a couple of bottles. I'm a little paranoid about drinking any alcohol and driving and have been told that none are within walking distance. I also don't want to invest a fortune in basic transportation. Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange a drive to a local vinery for a visit(two people) and the return trip to Montalcino? Any idea of the costs? Thanks

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

EastCoastTim,

It depends on how much you can walk. There are some wineries within twenty minutes walk.

www.consorziobrunellodimontalcino.it: If you want to make appointments on your own, see this site for a list of producers. Click on the detailer box for phone numbers, web addresses, and a map of the area.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

We're mobile. Even an hour in decent weather is fine. I've been to that web link many times, and printed the map, but distances are not clear. Anyway, I guess we'll just check it out when we get there. Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
9,565 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

There are drivers in town, I was given two numbers for the "taxis" by the agriturismo that I stayed at but some one from the forum corrected me and said they were not official taxis but private drivers. I can give you those numbers but they may have changed since 2006. The tourist office may be able to help you.

There was a local bus that stopped right by our agriturismo which had a tasting center. You might look into a walk out and a bus back. Barbi or Banfi was next door-ish (I forget which one).

The enoteca at the fortress has many of the local wineries represented and would be able to help you out with visiting information.

TAB

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

EastCoastTim,

Take the road from Montalcino to Sant'Antimo and stop at Biondi Santi (about 2km), Crocedimezzo (about 3km), Fattoria di Barbi(about 4km). Barbi doesn't require reservations.

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

Tim,

See http://www.montalcinotravel.com/intro_eng.htm

for driver

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
242 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

This sounds like it could be a good option. Is there anyone who has hired this company? What is your experience with them?

Also, the website say to call or contact via e-mail but as far as I can tell, no e-mail address is listed. Does anyone know what it is? I'd like to inquire about price.

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

If you click on the little drawing of a guy putting an envelope into a computer, it will open your email account - at least it opens mine.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

Curiosity Zerlina, where can you see the guy putting a letter into a computer? I cannot see him. Please tell me where exactly, thanks.

Bye

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

Right below the telephone numbers.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A driver for simple wine tasting visit?

Zerlina, are you talking about the Tuscany formums page or another? I cannot see any phone numbers. Perhaps we have a different format.

Bye