We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montalcino info please

Which Montalcino hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Montalcino info please

We are a couple planning to stay in Montalcino for 4 or 5 nights in May 2011 and need some information.

I am looking for recommendations for self-catering accommodation, ie apartments, in the town.

What food-shopping is available in the town or nearby?

What is the situation with car parking in the town?

Is the town hilly or predominately flat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,586 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montalcino info please

See the response to your similar question about Pienza. Montalcino is a bit more hilly.

Cetona
Level Contributor
296 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montalcino info please

Montalcino is really nice the same, and you don't have to miss.

I prefer Pienza like a base.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montalcino info please

I would say walking around Montalcino is generally more hilly than walking around Pienza. Parking is easy to find outside the walls of either. Montalcino is a little larger, both are lovely.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montalcino info please

Hi,

Have you looked into Montalcino website ??

http://www.montalcinoitaly.com/eng/viseng.htm

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montalcino info please

NRLR,

Some apartments

residenzapalazzosaloni.com/eng/residenza.html

www.montalcino-tuscany.com/vicolo_ruga.htm

http://www.suiteintuscany.it/indexeng.php

There is a Coop (supermarket) in town as well as smaller speciality shops.

There is parking in town but check with your accomodation owner for the best place.

I would say that Montalcino is hilly but not as bad as Montepulciano and certainly not as flat as Pienza.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montalcino info please

I like both places and revisit both each year. As hilltop towns go, Montalcino is not very hilly if you stick to the center of town. It does drop off on one side but unless you are taking the trail around the walls to the secret madona shrine you don't need to go down that slope.

The other side has lots of public parking but there are stairs that mimimize the slope. Some places within Montalcino come with their own parking but you have to avoid the TLZ or face a hefty fee.

I think Montalcino being a bit larger would offer you a better choice of night life and resturants. Montalcino has a nice food market to shop in. There is a traditional market on Friday mornings as well. This market sells a bit of everything from the traveling vendors.

Both fill up with day travelers but are quieter at night. Montalcino is a little bit closer to the Brunello region and Siena if that is a consideration.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montalcino info please

We've stayed in Montalcino on our last 3 trips and loved it. We''ve stayed at a B & B on our last 2 trips.

Parking is plentiful in lots just above the downtown area. If you're staying in a hotel or B & B they give you a paper to put on your dash so they don't charge you. I assume they'd do the same for apartments. The town is easy to get into/out of, and it's in the center of many things to see and do.

There are some very good restaurants in town as well as places to buy groceries. The towns nearby also have such places.

It's not nearly as hilly as Montepulciano, and although my wife and I aren't young and she had a hip replacement in 2009, we get around the town easily. We enjoy walks after dinner when all the day-trippers have gone.

seattle
Level Contributor
27 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montalcino info please

You will love Montalcino. Try the apartement Barlanzone. It is above a wine shop right across from the fortress. Parking is about 100 yards from the apartement. It makes it easy to jump in the car and daytrip to the other towns in the area.

Market day happens one day each week plus there is a COOP just a few blocks from Barlanzone. Also a laundrymat next to COOP. We have visited several times over the last 10 years and will return again soon. The quality of the shops and restaurants is hard to beat. La Loggia wine bar on the main Piazza has a great Happy Hour with free snacks also free wifi.

perth
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Montalcino info please

jerryott, are you able to give me some details of the B & Bs you have stayed in.

I am looking for one night only, for two people in September.

Also, hoping I can purchase some Brunello while there.

Many thanks. lennyb

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montalcino info please

You'll have no problem buying brunello, the only problem is which one to choose! The wine shops have an overwhelming choice.