We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

Paso Robles
Level Contributor
32 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

We are planning to stay in an apartment in Montalcino, Italy. The owner says that she will give us a permit to park in any spot reserved for "residents." It would not be a confirmed spot....more by chance each day. Does anyone know if resident parking is readily available. The owner speaks limited English, so our communications have not been easy. We would be willing to park in a pay lot overnight - but is that allowed and how expensive is it?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,239 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

Visitors are not allowed to drive their cars within the walls of Montalcino. If you have a residents' permit, you can drive into this area and park in parking spots on the street. My impression is that there are plenty of these spots.

There are also at least two pay parking lots just outside the walls, intended for visitors.

I have not stayed in Montalcino, but my experience in other towns (Montepulciano, Mantova) is that there is plenty of parking got permit holders within the restricted area.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

Unfortunately, Nick, that isn't always the case. I live in the heart of the old town in my own village, and in my particular corner there is only one small parking lot of 10 parking spaces for what must be more than 50+ houses so finding a spot is purely chance / arriving at the right time. No one has a dedicated place. We are constantly fighting amongst ourselves for parking, battling not just visitors parking illegally (workmen especially, though tourists sometimes too) but other residents. At least once a week - maybe more frequently in summer - I can't find a spot where I'm entitled to so have to drive all the way back out through the village, down the road, into the countryside, back into the village another way and park in a free public lot from where it's a 7 or 8 minute walk back to my house up an extremely steep hill. I am a great advocate of living nel centro storico and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else but parking is, without doubt, the one big downside. I doubt very much it will be all that different in Montalcino unless the OP is staying on a street on the edge of the old town where there are often more spaces than normal, and / or in a corner with a disproportionate number of elderly local residents who are less likely to own a car. You can pay to park, of course, but it's what - Euros 1.40 (or is it 1.50 now there?) an hour. Note too that some car parks don't allow you to stay overnight. A final thought, my own permit (issued by the comune) is for my specific part of town only and for my own car only. It probably is easy for the apartment owner to obtain permission for your vehicle (and I seem to remember having heard of this being done elsewhere) but do be careful please as I know from bitter experience that the municipal police in Montalcino are particulary vigilant.

UK
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

We have twice stayed for a few nights in Montalcino. The owners gave us a permit to display within our car which enabled us to park for free in a "pay and display" car park just outside the walls. This car park had over 100 places and we never had trouble finding a space (this was during September and October). There was a further vast car park further down the hillside which we never saw heavily used.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

There are certainly plenty of public parking places in Montalcino including the very large one below the new town but this may be quite a walk if you're staying on the other (more picturesque, I believe) side of town. As always when living "centro storico", be prepared for bit of a walk from where you park and always wear flat shoes. You'll probably return home fitter than you arrived. I know a couple of Montepulciano born and bred girls who (rightly) boast about their terrific legs that are kept in shape with all that walking!

Paso Robles
Level Contributor
32 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

Thank you for your reply. We have stayed in Montalcino before, but had the permit to park overnight (without charge) in the pay lot just outside the town walls. We don't mind the walk. The apartment is fairly close to this particular lot. My concern is whether or not there will be ample "resident" parking within the walls. If not, can we park in the public lot overnight (is it allowed and can we do it for a reasonable charge)?

Paso Robles
Level Contributor
32 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

Thank you for your reply. It sounds as if you live in a village, but not Montalcino. We have been to Montalcino before and loved it.....that's why we are returning. But we stayed at a B & B that gave us a permit to park in the public/pay lot just outside the walls. It wasn't much of a walk and was good exercise. My fear is that there won't be enough "resident" parking. If that is the case, I want to know if overnight parking in the pay lot is allowed and how much we would have to pay. My communications with the apartment owner have been through an interpreter - the apartment looks larger than the B & B we stayed in before - that's why we are switching accommodations (has a terrace, etc.). The translator has said that the resident spots are not assigned, and that some might be further away - but that the Tuscan life lends itself to walking,exploring, etc....all of which I agree with.....just want to know what to expect, if I can.

Paso Robles
Level Contributor
32 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

Thank you for your reply. This is what we did the last time we were in Montalcino two years ago. The pay/public lot was not a long walk away - but I don't know if they allow overnight parking without a permit (we would have a "resident" permit) and if you pay, how exorbitant are the prices to park?

8. Re: parking for residents in Montalcino, Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Montalcino
Recent Conversations