We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Broadstairs over the weekend

London
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Broadstairs over the weekend

Hello

We are a couple in early thirties and are planning to visit Broadstairs beach this Sunday/Monday over long weekend (on great suggestions from friends on Trip Advisor). I understand that the town is right close to the beach.

Are there things to do around? Will we find nice eating places in the town or on the beach? ANy other activities? Can we combine our trip to broadstairs with any other happening place or will this be enough.

I really need to make the most of the day and hopefully nice weather.

Would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks

10 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

http://www.visitbroadstairs.co.uk/

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

You are right, the town is right by the beach. There is one pub that opens on to the beach (The Pavilion & Garden on the Sands) but it's Wetherspoons-esque and not best for eats. Many restaurants within a short stroll of the beach - nearest is Tartar Frigate but really just pick one you fancy. Check TA restaurant listings for ideas. Most are in Harbour Street, Albion Street and Victoria Parade. Those in Albion Street have gardens on the cliff-top prom. (Any you see at "Westwood Cross" is an out of town shopping centre so avoid these). Have a look on Google Street View for a feel of the place.

Although there's a car park by the beach at the end of Harbour Street, it can be tricky getting to it due to congestion (very narrow street) - I always use the free on street parking on Western Esplanade/West Cliff Road and walk through.

At the end of the A299, directions for Broadstairs tell you to follow the A256 but this takes you through Westwood Cross which can be phenomenally busy, I tend to head through Ramsgate town on the B2054 and up Dumpton Park Drive to Ramsgate - much nicer route and you see Ramsgate harbour too.

Margate's new Turner Contemporary gallery is the big thing in the area at the moment. This weekend there's also an old-fashioned fairground at the former Dreamland amusement park there. Ramsgate has a Dunkirk Little Ships event this weekend. If visiting Ramsgate on Sunday/Bank Hol Monday you can park for free at the town centre Waitrose

www.visitthanet.co.uk/

London
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

Thank you so much Bayboy..................your ideas would come very handy. Now lets just hope that the weather stays good.

Thank you so much!!

Cheers

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

<< lets just hope that the weather stays good>>

Oh dear ...... :-(

Near Cologne...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

I can recommend Osteria Posillipo Pizzeria right on the Cliif Top. Great food and a stunning view from the outside tables....

Essex
Level Contributor
27,631 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

Some years ago I ate here, they had not long opened, I liked their idea. Glad to see that it is still in existance:

http://www.phileasfoggs.co.uk/

Near Cologne...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

Mind you, in 2009 and 2010 it was closed when we we there...and , sadly, you can only sit inside which in summer definitely is a disadvantage.

Edited: 29 May 2011, 07:45
Little Hallingbury...
Level Contributor
2 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

Hi, whatever you do don't stay near the Dolphin pub in the town centre. It's very noisy and goes on until the early hours! Here's a review I wrote of our holiday cottage, Flint Cottage, that was never posted because the owner ceased trading shortly afterwards. I post it here so that it shows up in searches in case people are thinking of staying there in the future...

We rushed down to Broadstairs on a Friday afternoon from Essex in rush hour traffic with the hope of a peaceful, relaxing and enjoyable weekend by the sea. How wrong we could've been. We were by the sea, certainly, but relaxing and enjoyable it wasn't.

Loud live music started up at 9pm in the Dolphin pub that is right behind the property across a car park, and went on until 11pm. Then all we could hear was loud voices, shouting, singing, chanting, and eventually fighting, we couldn't sleep and our children were woken several times. It was terrible. My wife was so wide awake at 1.30am she sent an email to the owner while it was fresh in her mind!

The next morning we chatted to a neighbour that lives opposite to enquire whether it was a one-off party, which we could've lived with the second night, but he said "it's always like that, we've got used to it, sleepy Broadstairs eh?" - so with that we packed up and left a day early. There was no way we were going through another night like that one. With credit to the owner, we got a full refund minus £60 for cleaning and linen, along with an profuse apology and some bewilderment at our experience. We were so disappointed as all the reviews in the guest book we so complimentary for the last 6 years. We can only assume that they are all very heavy sleepers?

As for the general decor of the house, rustic and stripped back is true enough, bare waxed floorboards and bannisters might be charming to some, but we didn't find it luxurious or comfortable at all. (And I have to say, as an under-40-year-old, I count free wi-fi a basic requirement of comfort, especially somewhere where there isn't even a phone reception.) Actually it didn't feel finished. There were very few things on the walls or the shelves and it just felt a bit cold and empty. The main bed was so rigid it felt like I was sleeping on the ground. A few rugs wouldn't go amiss either.

I feel terrible writing this review because the owner Anne-Marie was so accommodating, agreeing a last-minute rate, letting us check in early and out late, and then giving us the full refund, but potential guests need to know the truth. And if you still want to stay there after reading this, take some earplugs!!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

After a Google search, I also think you've been inaccurate with the name of the holiday rental - I've found a Flintback Cottage owned by an Anne-Marie, but not a Flint Cottage.

I think it would've been better to start a new thread entitled something like "Flintback Cottage, Broadstairs" rather than add to this 3 year old topic about things to do during a day trip.

I'm curious if you stayed in early August, which is Folk Week - an annual event that matches your description of the happenings both inside and outside The Dolphin.

Edited: 27 October 2014, 18:33
Little Hallingbury...
Level Contributor
2 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Broadstairs over the weekend

Ah! What a mistake! Maybe that's why I couldn't find it. It wasn't even that long ago. Silly me. Thanks. And it was early September not August.

Reply to: Broadstairs over the weekend
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Broadstairs