We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B in Ballymena

Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
B&B in Ballymena

My sister and I are planning on spending about a week in Ballymena, using that as our base to see something of the glens and the other small towns. I've found several B&Bs, but it's hard to find reviews of them. Our first choice would be Travellers Rest, because it's right across from the bus station, and we're doing public transport. Our second choice is Slemish House. Does anyone know anything about these B&Bs, or can you recommend another one that's inexpensive? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Ballymena
Ballymena
County Antrim, UK
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B in Ballymena

Personally I would try Ashfield Guesthouse (hostelbookers.com/hostels/…).

I have heard bad reports about Travellers Rest and Ashfield is slightly further along the road but still close to the bus and rail station. Slemish House would be further to walk to the stations but closer to the town centre.

Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B in Ballymena

Thank you. I found the Ashfield a little pricey, but I e-mailed the Slemish House and got a good price, and I also found on mapquest.com that it's less than half a mile from the bus station. Without your advice, we probably would have gone the other way. So thanks!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B in Ballymena

Im originally from Ballymena & I would think twice about using it as your base. It has great shopping but thats about it, not the best town especially if you wanted to go out at night. If you are travelling to the Glens, which are beautiful, then i would think about staying a night down there or wherever you are visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Ballymena
Ballymena
County Antrim, UK
Georgia
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B in Ballymena

Thank you, but since we won't have a car, we have to be near a bus station. We plan on going to Larne, Ballycastle, Antrim, and Glenariff Forest. (I'm planning the hows, and my sister is planning the wheres, so I don't know why we're going to those places!) Do you have a suggestion for a place to stay that's convenient to all those places using public transportation? And we really don't care about going out at night; we actually prefer shopping, so Ballymena may really be the place for us!

Mentioned in this post
Ballycastle
Ballycastle
County Antrim, UK
County Antrim
County Antrim
Northern Ireland, UK
Ballymena
Ballymena
County Antrim, UK
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
294 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B in Ballymena

If you are relying on public transport you would be better in Ballymena as you have both the train and bus station.

While I agree the coast and glens would be more scenic, you wouldn't have the travel options that you would in Ballymena.

Mentioned in this post
Ballymena
Ballymena
County Antrim, UK
6. Re: B&B in Ballymena

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:16