We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days on the North Antrim Coast

Essex
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 days on the North Antrim Coast

Hi,

Arriving Belfast 27th August for 3 days, main purpose of which is to do the Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge (nerves permitting!!), Dunluce Castle, Bushmill's distillery. Don't really want to do one of the organised day tours as would like to be able to spend longer at some of the destinations and would also like to do the Bushmill's tour and possibly a boat trip to Raithlin island....Please can you assist with the following?

1. Best location for an overnight stay within easy reach/accessible to the above

2. Don't really want to hire a car so would be travelling by public transport......Ulsterbus 402 seems to take in much of the route however how would we get from Belfast to wherever we need to pick this route up from and also do they do any sort of flexible travel pass to enable us to hop on/hop off so to speak and if so how much?

3. Where would we be able to take a boat trip to Raithlin island from or is there somewhere else in the area to visit by boat?

Many thanks

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days on the North Antrim Coast

I suggest you take a look at transport options on www.translink.co.uk -

to get to the North Coast from Belfast, take the Antrim Coaster, Service 252, which departs from the Europa Buscentre in central Belfast. Note that it does not function as a hop on, hop off service, but it will take you to your chosen base by the most scenic route.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days on the North Antrim Coast

www.translink.co.uk/present/ULB_252_I.asp

Tie this in with the Causeway Rambler route 402.

Have a look under their visitor section re bus passes but you might be best to ring them directly.

To be honest, aside from this, there isn't great public transport in the area so to make the most of your time here, be prepared to use a taxi e.g. from Ballycastle to Bushmills.

If you want to do a day trip to Rathlin, it leaves from Ballycastle so it probably would be good to base yourself there.http://www.rathlinballycastleferry.com/tr/index.php?id=10 Just note that the puffins will be away by then but there would still be other birds as well as a chance to see golden hares and seals. Just note that the puffin bus which takes you to the bird sanctuary meets the ferries so if you decide to go in for a coffee/tea when you arrive, you might have a wait for the next one but you can head over to the information centre and walk out to the bay where the seals are based. Note that it can be exposed on the island so take sunscreen and a fleece!!

www.rspb.org.uk/events/details.asp…

RSPB and NIEA sometimes do guided walks but the only 1 I see is for Monday 30th and I'm guessing you'll be away by then. You can still go by yourself of course!

ni-environment.gov.uk/events/… No guarantee any free boat trip places still left but get on quickly to them in case! These are boat trips out of Ballycastle on 28th and 29th run by NIEA. They're also doing an event at Dunluce castle.

Hope that gives you a couple of options.

IF you do decide on Rathlin, it is recommended to book in advance. I was there a few weeks ago and the morning ferries were booked up although there is always the chance that someone won't turn up. Also the puffins will probably be away by then.

Coleraine, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days on the North Antrim Coast

Drumadoon is a great spot to stay on the main road from Belfast to the North Coast. There is a bus stop opposite outside a shop called Logans/Not sure bus stop proper name or number. We had a great meal there and the rooms look great. It is a few miles from here to Ballycastle and Ballymoney by bus. I agree the Causeway rambler is a great way to see the North Coast but this place would be a great venue to start or end your visit to the North Coast.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days on the North Antrim Coast

Hi, I would recommend the Bushmills Inn for your stay. They have a great restaurant and Bushmills would make a good base, being very close to the distillery, the Causeway and Dunluce castle and slightly further to Carrick-a-rede.

Hope you enjoy your time on the north coast.

5. Re: 2 days on the North Antrim Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 05:17