We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for Golf Trip

Torrance, CA USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Base for Golf Trip

I am planning a golf trip for next June for myself and another golfer aged 48 and 53. We are planning on playing Royal Portrush, Portstewart, Castlerock, and maybe Ballycastle while visiting the Antrim Coast. We would like to base ourselves at one location as we will have a car and will drive to the respective courses. I will be having a pint or two in the evening and strongly prefer not to be driving. I am thinking of staying in either Portstewart or Portrush, as we would like to stay in a B&B and walk to local pubs and restaurants in the evening.

Will either Portstewart or Portrush fit the bill of having some B&Bs with pubs and restaurants within walking distance? If so, which one would you recommend and why? Is there somewhere you might recommend that will better fit our needs?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,389 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for Golf Trip

This is a tough call. Out of the two and given your ages, Portstewart is probably "nicer". Popular with quieter families and retired people. There are a few quite good places to eat e.g. the York, the Icehouse and a small selection of pubs. Portstewart Golf Club is supposed to be ok for food too. It is very popular with students but the university term should be finished by June so it should be quiet. Quite a few of the B&Bs that I can think of are on the edge of town so maybe 20 minute walk to town so check the location of what you are looking at - I should be able to help as it is my hometown! The Anchor bar (on the right side ) is quite good with a mix of students, lecturers and locals.

Portrush is a bit more run down with small amusement arcades geared at teenagers and families. BUT it has a much better selection of restaurants and pubs - the Ramore complex is famous throughout NI and is regularly voted "best" i.e. favourite restaurant on NI-wide polls. It has 4 restaurants in one complex and is consistently very good. The Ramore winebar is an institution! Also in Portrush is 55 degrees north which has stunning views from its big panoramic windows and often does great "early bird" deals. Portrush has a couple of smaller pubs e.g. Springhill, Harbour Bar (maybe best for you) (part of the Ramore complex) etc.

There is what looks like a lovely B&B in Portrush The Links opposite the Golf Course but it is close to Kelly's nightclub so if your stay includes a Wednesday or Saturday (Fridays are usually quieter), you might get some noise until 2am or so from revellers walking home!

Both towns also have nice walks - the nun's walk (cliff path in Portstewart) which runs from the Crescent to the Strand (beach) and a newly concreted walk in Portrush around town. You can also walk on the East Strand to White Rocks which is a lovely part of the beach.

I don't know if that helps but maybe gives you an idea of both towns?

Northern Ireland
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for Golf Trip

Just seen your post regarding golf in the area - we have the following offer which covers some of the courses you mentioned.

In relation to accommodation our visitor guide can be downloaded at causewaycoastandglens.com/Brochures.T182.aspx which covers accommodation and things to see/do in the region.

Edited: 26 October 2011, 16:37
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for Golf Trip

Portstewart is by far the nicer resort. The new golf club does indeed servce fine food and it is open to non-members. The dining room is rather pricey, but the bar food is good value and the view is super. It is a wee bit away from the Promenade but by a lovely walk along the cliffs. The York at the other end of the Promenade is another good option.

There is a fairly good bus service between Portstewart and Portrush and it's also a good walk along "The Port Path" However the last bus in the evening is at 21.40

Torrance, CA USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for Golf Trip

Thanks so much for the information, this gives me a bit to think about. It does sound like both towns have something to offer.

5. Re: Base for Golf Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2014, 22:15