We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Hi Folks, can anyone help...

Im arriving at Belfast Internatinal Airport on a Sunday in July at 11.50am, have accomodation, but cant seem to find public transport to get us there. I also need return transport the following Sunday to be at Airport for 10.15am. Really dont want to pay taxi fares, cheaper to go by public bus route if possible. I would appreciate any advice.. Cheers

13 replies to this topic
Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

You can get the bus from the airport to Antrim 109A, Then a train to Ballymena, and the 150 bus to Cushendall.

…translink.co.uk/web/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

Going back to the Airport might be best in a taxi due to your early flight. Wait until your in Cushendall and get a local driver it will be cheapest approx £40

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

That link is not working so try this one

http://www.translink.co.uk/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Thanks very much for this information, Much appreciated.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
856 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Just to break this down for you (bear in mind public transport won't be ideal, since you're travelling on Sundays):

12:32 Depart International Airport on bus 109A

12:47 Depart Antrim rail station on train to Ballymena

13:30 Depart Ballymena bus station on bus 150 to Cushendall

14:15 Arrive in Cushendall

(if you miss that 12:32 bus at the airport, you can do virtually the same journey 2 hours later)

Bobby's exactly right about your return journey - there's no way to reach the airport by public transport from Cushendall that early on a Sunday.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,838 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

"bear in mind public transport won't be ideal, since you're travelling on Sundays"

That is an understatement! - the Translink website isn't all that clear, either.

Assuming that Darren (#4) is correct about Ulsterbus services 109A and 150, I have to point out (Derry line timetable in hand) that, on Sundays, the trains from Antrim to Ballymena run at 1158, 1358, 1558 etc. - which may not connect conveniently to the 150 service to Cushendall.

An alternative route:-

Service 300, Airport Express, at 1215; 1245; 1315 (etc.) to Belfast Europa Buscentre - Journey takes 30 - 40 minutes.

Service 252, Antrim Coaster afternoon departure (sometime around 1500, I believe, time enough for lunch in the city), taking the scenic coastal route.

Furthermore: in season - and July is very much "in season" - Translink offer a "Summer Saver ticket". One day will probably cost £10 per person. However: this is for bus travel only (not train) and, as details are not yet available, I cannot be sure that it would cover travel on the Airport Express. But it would be worth investigating nearer the date of travel.

Definitely a taxi from Cushendall to the airport on the return journey.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Hi

We booked flights few weeks ago, have a cottage in mind, but transport is the problem..Wish now we had booked the flights for Saturday instead of Sundays, but got these at a great price. I thought I just had to look up Ulsterbus/Translink and book tickets for a direct bus on-line,but I was wrong. I even phoned Ulsterbus/Translink but no joy there either, with the woman not knowing routes times due to a new timetable coming out soon.

Anyone know of any self catering Ground floor Apartments or Cottages in Antrim town area?

Thanks again for all your replies, most appreciated.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Is there a reason you want to stay in antrim? Lots of other places which might be more suitable...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

Mum has been doing a family tree and we think that her side of the family came from Antrim, so she wants to see Antrim. its near to the airport too, but would consider anywhere round that area that we can get to easily by bus on a Sunday.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

I'm keen to see what others say but would you not consider hiring a car? I would be recommending that even if you were in Cushendall. If you're here for a week, you will find travel limited if you're relying on public transport unless you base yourself in Belfast. Even in the popular Causeway coast area, public transport isn't great although at least it is ok in the summer.

I don't think I'd really recommend Antrim as a base for a week - unless you were staying with family.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return

I was in Cushendall yesterday and Moyle district council. have just placed log cabins on there wonderful site at yacht club, Karl the warden tells me they are only £40 per night, You can contact him on

028 2177 1699

You will also find info on selfcatering on the moyle site, but there is no details of the log cabins on it yet

moyle-council.org/tourism/…

Reply to: Belfast International Airport to Cushendall, return
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted