We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grove of ancient trees?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
110 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Grove of ancient trees?

Hello, can anyone help? I have often seen photographed a beautiful grove of ancient trees, but only know its in Antrim! I am sure a "local" would know what I am talking of. Can anyone give me more specific directions?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

Would it be the dark hedges?

www.visitballymoney.com/the-dark-hedges.asp

You really need to have a car to find these but they would fit in well with a day trip to the Causeway Coastal area e.g. Giant's Causeway, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, Dunluce castle, Bushmills Distillery. If you have sat nav, you should be able to find it ok.

The easiest way to get to it is to follow the signs for Gracehill Golf Club/Course from Ballymoney as the Dark Hedges road is almost opposite the entrance to the golf club.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

That link seems temperamental

www.visitballymoney.com/the-dark-hedges.aspx

So here's another one

discovernorthernireland.com/Dark-Hedges-Armo…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,762 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

Sounds like the avenue of beeches now generally known as the Dark Hedges. See www.visitballymoney.com to learn more and see a map of the Ballymoney area. The Dark Hedges are not signposted but line a section of the Bregagh Road between the B147 at Gracehill and the B15. Leaflets are available from local Tourist Information outlets.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

Darn! We probably passed pretty close to them and didn't know they were there. From the picture they look pretty old all right, but I wouldn't think they were ancient. Does anyone know how old they are?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

Can't give an exact date but they were planted in the 18th century.

They are quite something in the autumn with an autumnal fog around..quite spooky and surreal. That area tends to get quite a bit of low mist/fog at that time of year. At any time, it makes for a stunning photo.

Whitehorse, Canada
Level Contributor
320 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

Thanks Ponaire. They're on the list for 2015. (I like trees.)

7. Re: Grove of ancient trees?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 22:15