We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Cairnryan

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in Cairnryan

We are planning a trip in June 2014 to Ireland and Scotland. We would like to take the ferry from Belfast. I know flying is faster, relatively cheap, but #1 I hate to fly--getting back/forth to US will be all I can handle #2 DH is concerned about luggage restrictions/fees on various airlines, even though we plan to back as light as possible. Our problem is finding a car rental that we can use in Republic & Northern Ireland, and take to Scotland, returning to Dublin. I just see where earlier posts say that both ferry lines have been moved to Cairnryan. Are there car rental offices at terminal? If not, what would be the closest place? Thank you in advance.

20 replies to this topic
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

One suggestion would be to use the Scottish Citylink/Ulsterbus coach to Glasgow where you will be able to pick up a car.

citylink.co.uk/timetables/…Belfast.pdf

Hertz does appear to have an office at Cairnryan.

Edited: 09 March 2014, 21:22
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,859 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

It's not cheap to take a car back and forth. You would be better taking Kenko's suggestion and rent a car in Glasgow.

Try http://www.dan-dooley.ie/ for car rental. They also do one way drop off between the north and south of Ireland

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

Thanks for your advice. We have a car booked for all of Ireland, it is taking it to Scotland that is the hangup. Have sent a message to Hertz, hopefully we will hear from them today. However, do you know if there are taxis, or local bus that would go from Cairnryan to Straneur if we wanted to pick up a car there? Thanks again for all the useful information.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

Just an update--thanks again RonaldoC, we were able to get a car from Dooley that we can take from Ireland to Scotland. Also found out that Hertz does indeed have an office across from the ferry dock, kenko. Arrangements can be made to pick up key, etc. from ferry office if the Hertz office is closed when arriving. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

Thank you for the update- it DOES help us! => I have been so confused as to whether the Hertz office is down at the bottom of Loch Ryan, as the map on the Hertz website says, or if it's up on the right side of the Loch where Stena moved their terminal...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

This is a very old thread, but I am facing the same issue and I wanted to get an update from you. We are ferrying to Cairnryan and would like to pick up a rental car there to make our way to Edinburgh, eventually. Should we plan to pick up a car at the port? Or should we take a bus into Glasgow to rent a car there? Or something else? Thanks.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

citylink.co.uk/timetables/…WEB_Belfast.pdf

Same as before,you can take the coach from Belfast through to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Or Hertz still seems to be available at Cairnryan

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

Hertz is based in the Stenaline terminal at Cairnryan. Google hasn't updated the location.

Picking up a car couldn't be easier, the Hertz desk is literally the first thing you see once you pick up your luggage

Edited: 10 September 2016, 20:56
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

we are travelling on the ferry on a Sunday, and all the info we are getting is that car hire places in Cairnryan are closed on Sundays, therefore car hire from the ferry terminal is not available.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,901 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Cairnryan

Did you read the thread?

In post 4 it says (and I quote):

>>> Arrangements can be made to pick up key, etc. from ferry office if the Hertz office is closed when arriving. <<<

Have you tried actually phoning Hertz?

Reply to: car rental in Cairnryan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cairnryan