We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more than whales?

Which Puerto Lopez hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
more than whales?

hola!

we are going to puerto lopez to see the whales.... but, what more we can see there? two days is good ? or we need more?

tks

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more than whales?

two days is plenty if you're main reason is to see whales.

you should definitely go to isla de la plata for one day (often called the "poor mans galapagos") to see the boobies, sea turtles etc. and you'll probably see whales on the way there and back. i dived isla de la plata 5 days a week for a month last year and we saw humpback whales everyday. if you dive, i highly recommend exploramar dive shop, snorkeling there is good as well. some tour companies offer day trips to isla de la plata combined with whale watching, others will just taking you whale watching.

the area is famous for surfing, kiting etc. but if you're only in ecuador for a limited time a couple of days at puerto lopez/isla de la plata is plenty, its not a terribly attractive town. however the bars along the beach front are fun in the evening.

ps. i'd try to visit puerto lopez midweek, weekends can get pretty crowded during the whale season.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more than whales?

Red and blue footed boobies are part of what you can see at Isla de la Plata. Also there you see frigate birds, finches and waved albatrosses.

Red footed boobies are probabbly the most attractive birds here, considering people pay usd 2500 average on a cruise to Genovesa (Tower) island in Galápagos, the only island that offers these specie of birds in our archipelago.

Humpback whales are easy to see as previous poster mentions, and Puerto López can be base to the Machalilla National park attractions like Agua Blanca archaeology, los Frailes virgin beach, and diving at el Ahorcado and Salango.

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yépez

Edited: 01 July 2011, 16:58
Florida
Level Contributor
142 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more than whales?

thank you both for the ideas!!! We really apreciate!!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more than whales?

I love Puerto López. I enjoy seeing the fishermen come in with their catch early in the morning and selling it. Nearby is Los Frailes beach, which is very tranquil and undeveloped. There are no vendors, ramadas, cabañas or beach chairs to rent. If you get there earlier in the a.m. you will have it to yourself. There is a mirador you can climb up to for a great view. The area around Ayampe is worth a visit, as well. And I definitely third the recommendation for Isla de la Plata.

Stay at Hostería Mandála. They have the best ceviche in Ecuador.

NYC
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: more than whales?

Does anyone have specific recommendations for a tour company with well-run trips to Isla de la Plata?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more than whales?

Explorarmar has good trips, and another one I've used is Pez de something. If ypu don't understand Spanish, check that the guide is at least a little bilingual.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more than whales?

i highly recommend exploramar as well

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more than whales?

stick with these recommendations re. exploramar. i witnessed several arguments between tourists and other tour company employees while i was there, all seemed to be about some kind of bait and switch re. the price/service quoted and the actual cost at the end of the day.

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: more than whales?

When is the whale season? I will be in Ecuador early November.

Thanks.

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more than whales?

i believe whale season is june-oct.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Lopez