We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

I'm planning a trip to Zanzibar in November. As part of my itinerary I'll be spending three days in Stone Town, two and a half days in Chumbe and now I need to decide whether two days in Nungwi or two days in Jambiani will round out my itinerary.

I love the idea of spending time with the locals. And the fact that Jambiani is not just beautiful beaches, but also a full village where the locals are on the beach as well as in the village, is a draw for me.

I understand some of the same can be said of Nungwi, but then there's also the nightlife. I'm torn.

I would appreciate any advice or information you can give that will help sway me in one direction or the other.

Much appreciated,

Danielle

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Hey ! Danielle ,

For my advice just go to Nungwi as most of the hotels are nearer to local residence and beach is nicer and neat ,and when you will be there try also to go for outdoor trips and entertainment like fullmoon party at Kendwa area where you can mingle with locals .

Edited: 17 March 2014, 11:38
Liverpool
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Can't comment on Nungwi but have recently returned from Jambiani and loved it. Who needs a nice, neat beach when you can have wild and windswept. It was lovely spending time in the village and the walk on the beach when the tide goes out is breathtaking, exploring the pools and dodging the sea urchins.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

LOL... Cal, I get your point. With time in Stone Town and Chumbe Island, I will get my fair share of city and nice, neat sand. I love the idea that the village tour takes you into the heart of the village and let's you interact with Zanzibaris in their day-to-day lives. I'm still researching, but I'm leaning toward Jambiani 70/30.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Cal, would you recommend staying in Jambiani for one day or two?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

I was there for two nights, and could easily have spend at least two more.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Poa... Did you take the village tour?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
307 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Sadly no, didn't have the time then, but when i return i definitely will do so, think you'll get a lot (or at least just some) knowledge and explanations on things, that will richen ones stay.

Zanzibar Island...
Level Contributor
237 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

I will recommend nungwi for this because there many more activities compared to Jambiani. You will also have the opportunity to mingle with others that are in this area.

It is so famous for many activities

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Based on everything I've read, Jambiani is more authentic. I love a good party and good nightlife, no question, but when I travel authenticity is most important. From my understanding, Nungwi is one of the more tourist-populated areas in Zanzibar. Though I could easily be considered one, tourists don't make me happy. Also, the village in Jambiani is supposed to be wonderful and interactive and immersive. That is very appealing to me.

Again, thank you for your input. Danielle

Bagram, Afghanistan
Level Contributor
61 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jambiani vs. Nungwi -- I can't decide!

Danielle,

I maybe biased since I never went to Nungwi. If you're up to some space and little serenity then go to Jambiani. Not much tourist and activitythat you dont have to fight for space of white sand. With cows in the beach herded by locals at sunset, little number of touts and me looking for the market where I can buy fruits it turned out no market/bazaar but a house with store selling vegies/fruits and other basic stuff. I asked around to pinpoint me to the market but instead of answering the local just showed me the house store. We passed houses and greeting locals on the way so it somehow turned into a semi village tour albeit no history or entertaining conversation reserve for an actual tour.

Get answers to your questions about Jambiani