We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visit to goa

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
first time visit to goa

not sure of the duty free allowance (tobacco) flying from manchester to goa is it very strict at dabolim airport? Being a lone traveller how would you make safe your gear when leaving them for a a swim in the sea etc

Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visit to goa

Hi

I'm not sure why you'd want to take too many cigarettes into Goa - the prices here are much cheaper than duty free.

Regarding your gear, just ask someone in the shack (or sunbathing nearby) to keep an eye on it for you!

Enjoy your trip!

Wolf

Wirral
Level Contributor
751 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visit to goa

Hi elsparkie,

Welcome to the forum, i think you are only allowed to take 200 cigs into India, however the wife always takes a lot more than this.

As for your gear when you go for a swim just take the same precautions you would anywhere, dont leave any valuables on show and you should be ok we have never had any problems on the beach.

Hope this is of some help and hope you have a great first experience of Goa.

Regards

bb

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visit to goa

Hi,

We always take 200 cigarettes from the UK but I wouldn't get any more than that regardless of allowance - so much cheaper in Goa.

Sarah

x

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visit to goa

Thanks for that, will take a few packs if it is cheaper to buy in resort

Rhyl, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
70 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visit to goa

Any more hints and tips would be appreciated, heard the locals try to clean you ears Yuk!

Fraserburgh
Level Contributor
101 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visit to goa

Yes the cigarettes are cheaper but I found some of my usual brands to be a bit harsh. As for being on the beach my best advice is to find a shack you are comfortable, get to know the staf and they will look after your gear. We have been using the same shack for several years now and the staff look after my expensive camera and wallet all the time.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time visit to goa

els BYE ,,cigs,,,baccy,,at your uk air[port,or on the aircraft,,a lot of FAKES in goa, very bad for your health,,even goa airport i would not trust,, the indian ones seem pop ,,but have a lot of tar in them,,/ up to u / as for u gear,when swimming,DONT leave on the sands,or sun bed if no one with them,,the dogs will pee on them or the beggers will lift them,,,if by u self leave in a shack thay wont mind,,or ask sombody sun bathing on a bed,,,,

Edited: 21 November 2011, 09:35
Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time visit to goa

I hope the following helps you out a little bit but like the above members have posted, you only do need a few packs of cigs to take with you into Goa as they work out at about 40p for a pack of twenty if you buy there brand called "wins"...and they are ok. now for the tips and advise you might need, it might get a little bit negative in parts but you might as well have the facts and not what your told in the travel agents buddy, just remember all i am doing is giving you the truth as i see it and WE REALLY LOVE GOA and are going back on new years days for three week. Its a crazy wonderful place.

There are so so many tips and bits of advise for you if its your first time in Goa and there seems to be a lot of first timers this year, The first thing you will need to know is get ready for a MASSIVE culture shock from the moment you land and nobody can prepare you for that, the sights, sounds and smells you will encounter is amazing if you remember you are in India.

Take a small pocket torch for a night time as there are power cuts every night (only for a few mins each time). Barter for everything over there apart from supermarket, food, drink, cigs ect ect..... make sure you get a good taxi driver at a good price (airport to Resort £12 MAX one way) Dont buy mossie stuff over here, get it there at a fraction of the cost and it works better. Get ready for the rubbish at the side of the road everywhere and the smell of burning rubbish, you will get used to this after a few days. forget all the standards of curry you know over here, get ready for a REAL treat, and for pence compared to the same over here!!!

As long as you "remember you are in India" and its all very basic but its a lot like Marmite.... you either LOVE IT OR HATE IT. (There is not much middle ground) The people are fantastic and the beach is superb.

One thing that springs to mind is the airport on the return journey..... that is a real downer at the end of a wonderful holiday, the following tips are for infomation only and i am not saying anyone should do this but..... if you smoke, they WILL take all lighters off you after checking in and you will not get them back (there is a smoking room after check in) but the only people with a light are the ones in the know and who have been before, even people try to get lighters through in handbags ect and even down underware..... it wont get past the metal detectors so dont even try, however ("ive been told that a small box of matches stuffed with cotton wool to prevent rattles") have been known to travel in certain parts of the clothes?? Of course i have never tried this as it would be against the law...lol.

Oh and do not get rid of all your rupees before you have checked in (ignore the paper flyers that you will be handed) they are just after your left over rupees at a LOW LOW LOW buy rate and more to the point you need some for the coffee shop once you are in the waiting area as they only take rupees, you should not bring any rupees out of the country by law so only take a small amount with you to get a coffee and a snack AFTER SECURITY CHECKS. dont worry if you come out of India with a small amount of rupees ie £10 worth or so.

Whilst on holiday, you might find you will be sharing a sunbed with a cow as they wonder freely everywhere but are very tame, most hotels have at least one stay dog, and you may just be having breakfast one morning and watch an elephant walk past you.... This can be a bit of a shock but remember over there "all that is normal" and you have to go with the flow. Please wear flat shoes as the so called pavments are more like steppin stones and are up and down more than the speaker in the house of commons. The sun is very strong and you must use suncream even if you have traveled a lot before, this is the Indian sunshine and is very strong.

You must drink as much water as you can get down your neck during the day (aprox 5L) or more if you can, this is a must or you will be ill. On the beach there may be a soft wind blowing and you might not think its too hot..... watch the locals cover up with hoddies and such like, they know what the sun can do, DONT GET CAUGHT OUT... it WILL be hoter than it seems.

Oh and if you are taking your bank cards.... YOU MUST inform your bank what dates you are going as (depends on who you bank with) when you try to use the ATM machine it may swallow your cards, got to be worth a phone call to the bank dont you think?

You can not spend your money out there its sooooo cheap, just never tell them its your first time, look as if you know what you are doing (even if you dont) and like i said Barter for everything apart from what i have listed, its there way of life and if you half the cost of what they ask for in the first place and work up SLOWLY from there you might just get a bargain or two...

There maybe one or two beggers about the streets, you please your self what you do but i would advise you do NOT give to any of them, this might sound harsh but once you are seen to be giving to one you will be over run by others and you can not give to them all.

Local prices vary from place to place but a beer will cost about 80p for 750ml bottle, double vodka ect 50p, bottle of coke 35p. Chicken curry FROM about £1.70 (more for seafood) but not much. There are dozens of beach shacks to try and the nightlife is very good but NOT full of idiots like over here, beach bbq nights are good and most shacks have live music on a night..... WHAT A FANTASTIC PLACE GOA REALLY IS!!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: first time visit to goa

I smoke win out there not a bad smoke

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply