We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lack of booze in feb

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
lack of booze in feb

hi there.

i just got a alert from an other holiday site saying that while the elections are running in feb that there will be no bars aloud to sell booze ,is this just a rumor or is there any truth to this. I fly out 21 feb and really dont fancy spending 3 wks drinking mango slice. my o/h will be suicidal if he is not aloud any kings or honey bee for me!!

do i clear out the suitcase and take my own with me !!!!!

audz

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lack of booze in feb

The election is on March 3rd and there is usually a ban a few days prior, the day of the election and the counting day.

So you will be able to get a drink just not on those days. The actual days will be announced in early February

But as many will confirm, some places ignore the ban by putting beer in tea-pots....LOL

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lack of booze in feb

Dont worry you will be able to get your daily fix of alcohol Audwee. Remember its Goa

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lack of booze in feb

According to the newspapers today, many of the wholesalers and stockists are running short of booze!

There is increased scrutiny on the industry due to the elections and apparently a lot of booze is not getting through.

Wolf

Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lack of booze in feb

Looking at Bruahys reports from the news papers a lots not getting of the state too wolf LOL. I bet your well stocked up though exept the black stuff!!!

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lack of booze in feb

I was in Goa (Baga) for the last elections and I have to say, it wasn't that easy to get a drink!

Most places including the hotels have their fridges etc under lock and key and will not open it for fear of being caught. We didn't have an alcoholic drink for two days .........not that it did any harm but.................. ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lack of booze in feb

There WILL be dry days (maybe 3 or 4) during early March because of the elections but it doesn't affect the whole of February and the whole of March.

If you do a search in the Goa forum for 'dry days' then sort the results by date instead of relevance you'll find a number of threads already discussing this over the last week or so if you want to read a bit more about it.

Mrwolf's post is a bit worrying though.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,151 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lack of booze in feb

Iain

do you mean the fridges in hotel rooms?

I've been having a think about this and if we go during dry days, I think I'm going to (try to) buy a couple of bottles of gin and hide them in the wardrobe or somewhere else just in case they empty room fridges.

I'm also going to decant some gin into a small bottle and take it out with me and just order a tonic & ice.

A bit like my younger sister used to do when she went to nighclubs and couldn't afford the price of drinks. LOL

aberdeenshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lack of booze in feb

opps 1 unhappy husband the 3rd of March is his birthday!!!! looks like a bottle or 3 could be packed as a back up just incase of emergencies!!!!. audz

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lack of booze in feb

ppc...they never locked our mini-bars as they seem to think of those as personal and not purchased over a bar???!!!!

They did ask for us not to take any of the drink down to the bar area though. Shame as we'd organised quite a party for that night....doh!

We're all taking those drinking bottles that runners use and filling them in the morning with GandT and just getting ice from the shack. Where there's a way, there's a mean...hehe!

Audwee, that's exactly what we intend on doing, buying a few bottles at Manchester for the first few days as we arrive on the 3rd!

Edited: 23 January 2012, 12:35
Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Bo,ness Scotland
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: lack of booze in feb

And dont forget to fill your water bottles up with the short of you choice in the Airport lounge. Just pour the water out and you get a huge measure for the plane.