We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

Really excited about this trip. What can we expect from the weather in the beginning of May? Will it be buggy? Does anyone have recommendations for good bug repellent? For those of you who've gone there recently what shots did you get? Is there any concern about malaria?

Thanks

Dominical, Costa...
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

The beginning of May is usually the beginning of rainy season, but it has been a strange year already. The area has been having more than the normal rain in January, so it is hard to know for sure. Most likely you will experience clear mornings with building clouds leading to an afternoon shower. It tends to clear again for a great sunset, and then, perhaps, more rain overnight. Manageable, warm tropical rain showers and not downpours are most likely in May.

You should not have many bugs up at your villa, but down by the beach and on jungle trips you will want bug protection. We use Cutter Advanced products and bring single package wipes in our day pack in case we need it.

No malaria concerns in the Central/Southern Pacific zone. We keep current with Hepatitis and Tetanus for traveling but nothing is required to enter the country.

Its a great area. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 20:04
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

Never got any shots personally, after 10 trips. Wear bug spray although in that area I've never had much trouble with bugs. The weather should be very nice, I love May. Hot, humid with possible short showers in the afternoon and sometimes great t'storms at night. I would definitely have a car for the area, preferably a 4WD.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

Thank so much.Your information is great and very helpful!

reva

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

I spend all my life here close to 60 years, until today I have had never meet any body with Malaria...just get some great old OFF here at any store...it works great...also you do not need any vaccinations...

roadadvisor

Creston, Canada
Level Contributor
525 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

Rashi, You should check out "CDC.GOV"

There are vaccinations recommended for Costa Rica, only you and a qualified health care provider who specializes in travel medicine can determine what is right for you.

Travel safe & enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
6. Re: Staying at Oxygen in May - Shots? Bug Repellent? Weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 20:18