We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Which Uvita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Hi All-

We are interestd in staying in the likes of Oxygen Jungle Villas, Rancho Pacifico, Tiki Villas, etc in Uvita for a week during our honeymoon. I know OJV does not allow you to flush toilet paper- do the others I mentioned allow it?

I do understand the reasoning behind it and my fiance has no issues with it what so ever but I do want to know all of our options.

Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Now Meagan, your first post on TA and this is it? lol

Charlotte, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Great first topic, isn't it? ;)

In all reality, I have been scouring this forum for quite some time and have already gotten answers to all of my other questions. Lodging reviews, excursion advice, flying/driving advice...alas, no toilet advice.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

You say that you fiance has "no issues with it" so this must mean that you do have "issues with it." Frankly, I think that choosing a hotel based on this criterion is not the smartest thing to do - but - we all have our little "quirks".

Just be patient and I am sure someone will answer.

Edited: 24 October 2011, 14:57
Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Just back from Peru where you also can't put TP in the toilet. It's really not a big deal.

Enjoy CR.

Charlotte, North...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Travelholic- My fiance is from Peru. Hope you enjoyed your trip there!

Let me be clear I am not choosing a place based solely on this criteria. Again, I just want to know what all the options are. All 3 places mentioned have excellent reviews and relatively in the same area. I don't think it hurts to have all of the information (and yes, this is based on a "quirk") to ensure my quirks are satisifed.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

It has to do with the type of septic tank that builders put in at hotels, When our neighbors in Punta Uva built the Korrigan Lodge in Punta Uva, they put in a system that everyone can flush the TP. being engineers themselves, they told me that their system dissolve TP in a few days, so no need to worry. They have being in operation for a while now with no problems. Hopefully you will fine someone like them.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

Well as far as TikiVillas flushing of toilet paper is allowed.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

I was ready to ask Thomas to answer the quesstion...thanks God he did...

roadadvisor

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

You can't flush toilet paper anywhere in Costa Rica. Even in San Jose airport you'll notice that the little cans next to the toilet are filled up with dirty toilet paper. Their sewer systems aren't built to handle it. I figure we should all feel lucky that we can drink the water, mostly.

It bothers my husband no end that he can't put the tp in the toilet but it is what it is. Just make sure you stay somewhere that has maid service every day or be prepared to take out the trash every day. It's not so bad once you get used to it. It will make you appreciate your local water and sanitation department just that much more when you get home.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flush Toilet Paper in Uvita Lodging

chicagotravel: that's not entirely true. You can flush toilet paper in some places - witness Thomas's response about Tiki Villas. It depends entirely on the septic tank capacity and maintenance - just like in the US. Believe it or not, there are LOTS and LOTS of septic tanks in the US and not just sewage treatment plants. However, in Costa Rica, most septic tanks are smaller so it is wise not to put toilet paper in the toilet.