We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

So far we have plans made from SJO w.hotels to Uvita. I think we will be 3 nights in the area. The 1st place I thought we would like is b & J cabins. Then upon more searching fell head over heals for Tikivillas. Here on TA the price says 109.us & up. ......well that is no where near what their web site says......;( darn! So now I am looking for something inbetween. We would rather be in the jungle // forest than on the beach. We will have a car. So no worries getting to &from. Would like breakfast included, but no big resort type place / feel to it. Any suggestions?

Thank. You

KNK

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Vamos Rent a car?? How far from SJO is that?

Have to look into that right quick. So far Going with Thrifty (a block or so from the hotel we are staying) getting a Toyota Rav 4 Automatic. A little more $$. But they accept my VISA for insurance purposes (sort of) :) Also have a 5% off promo code.

Ahh yes zip locks, will put that on the list right now! We will bring a soft sided cooler..If one came with the car that would be fab!

Trying to find one night near Rincon or the 245 cut off to Drakes Bay now.....not doing so well hmmmmm. Or we could again wing it. Well we've got 4 months & we just found the map from our last trip to CR. So getting a better idea of which way to go!

Happy travels!!

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Vamos will pick you up at SJO and they take the costa rica discount card. I mainly went with reviews on TA to narrow it down. Plus love the cooler and george emailed me directly (I sent him a pm from posts here on TA) which made me feel good to have a "real person/manager" to work through.. Most seem to take your CC and we have a VISA with no Int'l fee involved that covers the other insurance (taking confirmation of this in writing from CC co) It is the "third party" MANDATORY insurance in CR that is not covered, Vamos it is about $11 day. Then we'll rent the GPS at $8 day.

I am having trouble reserving one night also...guess most places away from airports prefer multiple nights...we have one nt between Nuevo Arenal and Uvita where we hoped to stay in betweeen...still looking.

We too have plenty of time. I want the planning done now so I can forget about it til Dec ;-) .

Wish we had a month.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

What is the CR discount card? Where did you get one? What else can it be used for?

"It is the "third party" MANDATORY insurance in CR that is not covered" Is this everywhere?? I called Thrifty direct & they did not mention this....

Can't you just use your Phone for GPS? Seems it would cost alot less to get international for a month on your phone then $8US per day.

Lucky for me K is the best navigator I know. We only used a map last time & we never got lost. Even found Los Carolinas Lodge...which is wayy back in the rain forest--but our fav. place in CR so far........I am the driver so I was getting weary we were lost, but low & behold drove right up to the place. Love it there!!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

OB--FYI Vamos is double what thrifty is charging for the same vehicle .

I had to check it out. :)

KNK

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,502 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Nice and educational to listen to you two chatting almost on-line. E-mail too slow? Anyway, kNk, I am surprised that after you have researched the Costa Rica in-depth and you are not aware of third party mandatory rental car insurance. This is obligatory to be paid for any car rented in Costa Rica. The daily rate might include this fee but most of rental car companies does not disclose it until the future rentner is at their doors.

I might be wrong but if you are talking about La Carolina Lodge it most definitively is not located "way back in the rain forest"; and driving around Costa Rica with only a good old paper road map is even safer then relies completely on a GPS. Just my personal observations, of course. You two have one great ravel to Costa Rica, and upon returning, publish a trip report. BTW, which one is better for a week in February: Bequia or Carriacou?

Edited: 26 July 2013, 22:29
Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Ummm, I don't recall paying that the last trip to CR? Maybe we did....but the rental car was very inexpensive, so it did not seem like we paid anything extra.

It felt like LCL was way back in the rain forest....having not experienced it before. Also we drove there straight from Arenal. BTW we absolutely loved it!!

Not sure if your trying to say a map is good or a GPS is better?

Bequia, always Bequia. "Just my personal observations, of course"

& yes email is too slow...lol :P

Happy Travels to you as well.

KNK

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

xelas....brief expl KnK and I seem to cross paths on TA with our travels....SVG, Honduras etc so a coincidence really to bump into one another yet again....sorry if it bores anyone...of course my theory on TA has always been "take what you wish and ignore the rest".

As for SVG in February or any other month, BEQUIA. Carrioucou is fun imo for about 3 days. I have spent weeks on Bequia and not been ready to leave. My fav way to go is to fly thru Grenada where it's fun to spend a few days (include a fast ferry day to Carriacou) explore Grenada and fly on to St Vincent. Ferry over to bequia for a totally unique week or more!

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
749 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Great minds think alike & travel to the same great places on this planet we call earth :)

Hope all is well with the world today!

KNK

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,502 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

No, no, no, not bored at all, just wanted to jump in! ! Like you said, travel alike etc. Thanks for the tip on Bequia.

I found paper map to be better then GPS because following the progress on map, it gave a much better overview where one is driving and where it should go, while GPS is excellent when in the city and only need to follow it turn-to-turn. Happy traveling!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Looking for a place to stay in or near Uvita.

Fooling around online yesterday I was able to follow the exact route we need to take from Nuevo Arenal to Uvita on Google Map. Seems pretty simple. Not sure if we need a GPS from SJO to La Fortuna for the first leg? May skip the GPS and use maps I can download here before leaving. We plan to drive SJO to La Fortuna/Nuevo Arenal for a week, then we'll head NA to Uviat for 5 nights and Jaco for 2. (probably more crowded than we like but we have friends there to visit) We turn the car in upon arriving in Jaco and then just take shuttle Jaco to SJO the morning we fly out. Not sure the GPS is necessary? Plan on leaving Iphones at home and just having the phone that comes with our rental car!