We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uvita ??'s

Which Uvita hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau
Level Contributor
219 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Uvita ??'s

Hi everyone I have a few questions on Uvita and hope you can help me out. Uvita seems like a very beautiful place with wildlife, views and snorkeling to boot which I love. So my wife and I are thinking about possibly living there 1 day, so I thought we would rent a place for the month of April in Uvita.

So I was wondering:

- should I rent a place for a month in Uvita or check out other areas too?

- it does seem like a good base but should I rent a 4x4 for the whole month or just a week or 2?

-is there any transportation in the area and can I walk to things if I rent a place in town?

-any advice will be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Gatineau
Level Contributor
219 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uvita ??'s

Oh I almost forgot 2 more questions. Does Uvita have atm machines and what should I bring, American $$, mastercard, travel chq's and a atm card??

Thanks

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uvita ??'s

Uvita would be a great place to spend a month. From there you could easily see Manuel Antonio, San Isidro, Dominical and Ojochal on day trips. You can also explore Cano Island and Corcovado. I would recommend renting a car. You could use public buses and taxis to get around, but in my opinion you would miss out on some of the hidden treasures and flexibilty. I personally would get a 4x4 because I like exploring, but if you plan on staying in town and traveling up and down the Pan American highway and sticking to the main roads, a regular car would probably work for you.

There are ATMs, I would carry some cash and credit cards. I wouldn't waste my time on travelers' cheques.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
362 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uvita ??'s

Hi Nomad02,

I just got back from a 4 day stay in Uvita. If you have never been there and are planning to relocate you should definitely plan on staying there at least one month to see if you like it.

There are homes available for rent and this option may be more economic than staying at a hotel. There are also many choices for every budget as far as hotel accommodations.

You will definitely need a car, ideally a 4X4, if you plan to explore the area.

The Uvita area is quite nice and the town has all the conveniences such as banks/ATM's, fully stocked supermarkets, restaurants, bus depot, and even beauty salons. This is no sleepy little town. Uvita appears to be under rapid development and property values in some areas rival Florida or Hawaii. Of course, this comes at a cost to nature and wildlife.

Since you will have to drive, it pays to note the Costanera Sur is a busy highway. Large trucks navigate this road day and night at high speed. Driving at night can be dicey, and people tend to tailgate. Whatever wildlife happens to cross the road does not stand a chance.

If you are passionate about the ocean, this is the place for you. I absolutely delighted in my sunset swims (and that is after my morning swim and afternoon swim). The beaches are beautiful. Often the waves are perfect for bodysurfing. I cannot comment on snorkeling because I did not do that but the best place is Isla del Cano, which is about an hour away by boat.

Basically, I think Uvita is a great place that has to be enjoyed now, before it becomes another Jaco or Manuel Antonio. The wheels of progress are relentless, there is no time like the present.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uvita ??'s

Uvita area is very spread out, sometimes called "Costa Ballena" so its best to rent your own car, compact 4x4. If you are renting a place also take into account Ojochal and Dominical were there are a lot of vacation rentals. There are ATM´s and banks but do not bring travelers cheques nearly no one will accept them.

There has been no major development for a few years now, there are a lot of restrictions on building so the area building is spread out. Lots of land for sale but little movement, lots of hipe since I been visiting 2004.... Prices near or with any sea views have always been at a premium and though prices dropped a bit in 2007, still not cheap at all... It for sure will grow but doubt it will ever be a Jaco or MA as there is a lot more space and Osa municipality has been very restrictive on density. The pan American highway shortcut goes past Uvita like most costal towns, if you want to get away from it you need to look at properties over 20 min drive into the mountains...

Uvita is a wonderful compromise between fully developed and off the beaten track... Enjoy

Gatineau
Level Contributor
219 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uvita ??'s

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great advice, much appreciated!!

6. Re: Uvita ??'s

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 05:16