We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

Seattle
Level Contributor
369 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

My husband and I want to go on an ATV tour, however, we have a six year old. I've never been on an ATV tour. I know some companies have levels. Is it safe for a six year old to come? And which is the best company? Not sure if there is one - that is relatively easy, but still fun and adventurous - and maybe stops at a waterfall?

Thank you

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

It is not the question if the ATV tour is safe, the question is if the ATV driver is safe! And in my experiences, accidents happens. Personally, I would not bring my daughter on an ATV tour when she was 6. You have never driven an ATV?! Maybe start practising.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

It's not something I would do with a 6-year-old, especially with no experience. Much better to be safe than sorry.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

In Uvita recently there was an accident with an ATV resulting in a broken bone, and this was an Adult additionally they gt charged for the damages. You sign releases, etc. There is only one company, not saying the tour company is good or bad but you ride at your own risk, its off road, sometimes steep rutted and/or muddy paths.. Its like motorcycles or any other vehicle... Keep in mind besides the physical risks they offer no insurance, so if you crash up to $15,000 can go on your CC...

I hesitate to recommend it to adults, much less to a 6 year old ride along. Maybe consider a horseback tour like Nauyaca.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
179 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

I researched ATV's as I was contemplating doing a tour when in Costa Rica. It does NOT seem to be safe for children to ride on ATV's and there have been many accidents and deaths documented regarding this. There is even a report of a 13 year old girl who died in CR on an ATV tour, so it is very important to check If the company is certified, I think it is ICT certified?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

Although the ICT certification is important, please re-read what Thomas wrote in his post. Not even the best company can protect you when you are driving your own vehicle; and driving an ATV is not among the safest things on this planet. Common sense, folks. There are so many other beautiful tours that a 6-year old will enjoy much more than riding behind someone's back, seeing nothing and being in constant danger.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
179 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

Agree. Here is a site that discusses safety regarding atv's and children:

atvsafetynet.org/stories

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

Keep in mind that in Costa Rica liability laws are not even remotely close to the US,. Most ATV tours operate on a rental contract basis and waiver. So you are renting an ATV and paying for a guide. Like in a rent a car any accident, death and compliance of law is up to you. The company will not make themselves responsible in any way, nor will they be legally liable. Additionally you will pay for any damages to their vehicle and others even though you were just following a guide. They are required to provide you safety equipment, ie helmet and reflective vest, that is it.. You want to bring a 6, 4, 2 year old that's up to you... If they fall of or injure themselves it will not be the responsibility of the tour company. They will shrug their shoulders, tell you that it was probably a bad idea to bring a kid with you and charge you for the damage to their equipment.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

Depends of the driver and the route!

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

The terrain can be bumpy, I would not recommend this activity for small children.

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATV tour safe for a 6 year old?

ATV tours cause a huge nuisance in some areas. They often drive through residential areas, creating noise and dust. They also drive very carelessly on beaches, and have been blamed for destruction of turtle nests. And yes, apart from that there is a real danger of injury. Please think twice.

Get answers to your questions about Uvita