We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maybe Sozopol this year

Which Sozopol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Maybe Sozopol this year

Hi. Hubby and I are in our late 60's and fancy going to Bulgaria for the first time. We prefer somewhere quite peaceful and are thinking about going to Sozopol. If you have been there, would you consider it a good resort for our age group? I read that it is mostly Bulgarians and Russians in the resort so wondered whether English is widely spoken and also if menus are printed in English. Years ago we went to what was then Yugoslavia and the resort (Umag) didn't cater for English tourists at all. Menus were all in Yugoslav, German and Italian -made choosing a meal a bit of an adventure as we had no idea what we were going to get. If we do settle on Sozopol we are probably going to stay at Hotel Selena as it gets very good reviews. Any advice would be extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Burgas, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Hi, We actually live 30 minutes drive away from Sozopol. It's a lovely resort for all ages. It's totally different to the bigger resorts (e.g. Sunny Beach). The whole place has a nice feel about it. The old town has retained a lot of it's character and has a good selection of restaurants, cafe's, ice cream/cake stops and bars. The new town is bigger and spreads a long way, there are also lots of restaurants and bars here, plenty choice. No problem with English and the menus are in English. It isn't as popular with the English as most head for Sunny Beach but that isn't an issue. Quite a popular resort with visitors from Norway, Iceland etc who all speak English. Hotel Selena is very good. Beaches are nice. There are things to do in the area. One tip - old Sozopol is mainly cobbled streets so high hills are not the best footwear.

Edited: 18 January 2013, 10:23
Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Thank you so much for your help - it has really put my mind at rest about booking the holiday. As for high heels - they are just a distant memory now!! Just one other question, is te weather reasonable in middle of May? We are restricted on dates this year due to impending arrival of another grandchild so the last two weeks in May are planned for the holiday. May thanks.

Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

I also want to say that Sozopol is lovely. Many Bulgarians go there for a holiday which says it all really.

The weather in May will be just right. Nice and warm but not over bearing.

Enjoy BG

Best,

Paul

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Thank you. I'm really happy with all these positive comments!

Halifax
Level Contributor
246 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Agreed, we went last summer, loved it!

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Thank you for that - I hope we enjoy it as much as you did!

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
922 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Sorry to Jump in on your post !

Would you say this resort is better for a family with an 11 year old and 8 month old ! would I be able to get baby items from supermarket etc .

Are the beaches better then sunny beach ? looked at sunny beach but a little worried it will be too busy in August .

thank you :)

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Yes it would be fine, we were there two years ago and going back this year and my husband is Bulgarian. We LOVED it, and have been all over Bulgaria. TOP TIP, take the little train to the big beach/campsite Smokinia outside Sozopol where you can rent beds for the day and the restaurants on the beach are really cheap. Mlles and miles of beach, clear blue sea. The beach at Sozopol was full of seaweed the year were were there and not great for swimming. Sunny Beach is just a constructed tacky touristy site, and my partner used to work there and we have been there, so speak from experience. Nothing authentically Bulgarian. Sozopol is an old town with culture, mixed with the tourist vibe and of course the new town. Take note, is extremely hot and last summer they had unprecedented heat, was hard to take even for Bulgarians, that note is mainly with regard to taking a baby.

Hope this helps.

Warrenpoint
Level Contributor
444 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

I wanted to visit Sozopol last year but didn't manage to get that far. We stayed in Sarafovo which I can recommend for anyone who doesn't want the madness of Sunny Beach and who wants a quiet village with good restaurants. We went hired an apartment in SB for a weekend and didn't like it at all.

Sarafovo is handy for popping into Bourgas on the bus too. Here's a review I put up on my blog, although I warn you, it's all about the food!

…wordpress.com/2012/07/29/best-of-bulgaria/

I may put this in a separate thread on the Sarafovo forum, as it contains some useful info on Bulgarian food that I would have liked to have read about before going.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 10:50
Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maybe Sozopol this year

Wow! thank you warrenpointmermaid for all the foodie info. We are going bed and breakfast so this info will be invaluable!

Get answers to your questions about Sozopol