We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Munich

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Munich

Is there a train station at Ramsau or somewhere nearby?

Is it possible to find a car rental agency at the train statin?

How long does it take to go by train from Munich to Ramsau?

What is the best way to take a train direct? We were thinking of taking a direct, non-stop train somewhere close to Ramsau where we could also pick up a rental car. Does anyone know of a place?

What train station in Munich should we go to in order to catch our train?

We hope you can help - thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
8 replies to this topic
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Munich

have you checked out the German rail site www.bahn.de - change to english at the top and input your start / destination stations & the day/time you wish to travel - it really is very easy

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Munich

Hi Time-and-Away,

You can get all of this information from the German rail site at

www.bahn.com

Just enter your start and end points, change the time to a time you'd like to leave (such as 09.00 or so -- and remember that the site uses a 24-hour clock), and you'll get all the info. When the connections come up, click on each one to get the details, such as train number and type and platform number.

The main train station in Munich is München Hauptbahnhof or München HBF.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Munich

swandav..... snap!

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,626 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Munich

Not quite easy, tho, as there are several Ramsau destinations. Ramsau is not directly accessible by train. Maybe Freilassing is a good place to rent a car? Directly accessible from Munich.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 08:59
Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Munich

Brilliant, thmoore!

I should also add that the DB site uses the European format for dates: day.month.year. I'm not sure if Canada does the same, but I know sometimes USA travelers put in the wrong dates.

s

Newfoundland and...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Munich

Good mention about the dates - this would have mixed me up and potentially placed us on the wrong train.

About the websites - I did see the train booking sites but the problem is that you have to know where you are going in order to enter the destination, etc. Since there is no direct train to Ramsau, trying to figure out where there is a direct train close by (with a car rental at the station) is tougher - I tried Priem and Bad Reichenall and several other locations but I did not have any luck.

The closest I could get were a couple of towns that were only 70 km from Munich - in this case I am thinking, why not just rent the car after all.

I would much rather be on the trains, but the car would also allow us to move back and forth between Berchestgaden, Priem am Chiemsee, the Konigsee and Ramsau as well as Salzburg without the worry of train or bus times. Even the hotel in Ramsau warned us a car would work because the trains there are not really accessible. BUT I am excited to see the recommendation for Freilassing!! I will check this out right away and hope it works. Thank you for posting it - you might save the day!!

Mentioned in this post
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Inchicore, Dublin...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Munich

Hi,

next station would be Berchtesgaden. Though busses are cost free for you in this region, for Ramsau I suggest a car. Busses from Berchtesgaden will leave every 2 hours until 6 pm, you can check line 846 at www.rvo.de

Holger

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Munich

I don't know about renting cars in Ramsau, but I just came back from this region and I went from Munich Airport to Berchtesgaden train station (had to change train twice). The journey took a little over 2 hours. From there you can take the bus 846 to Ramsau, from the bus station next to the train station. There aren't many buses, I think about one every hour, but it is a less than 30 minutes bus journey.

Mentioned in this post
Berchtesgaden
Berchtesgaden
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Reply to: Trains from Munich
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ramsau