We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Which Agia Pelagia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moonee Ponds...
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Onthebeach are once again miss selling holidays to The Village Panorama in Agia Pelagia. Please make sure that your Easyjet or Monarch flight goes to Heraklion and not Chania.

Chania is at least160ks away and there are no transfers only private taxi at around 300 pounds or two bus's for more than three hours or a hire car and drive yourself.

Agia Pelagia is a small resort with good tavernas along the beach, one club I think, but not much else to do but lay on the beach. Jetskis and diving are available but no sports bars to watch football etc. No football on the telly at Panorama and was full of Russian students on holiday. I enjoyed myself there in 2011 but do not expect a British type resort... Try Stalis if this is what you are after, good bars, football, great breakfasts, fab food and near to Malia for those who want to go MENTAL.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Hi mosoul

This is a good post and a very timely reminder on an issue which has been highlighted a few times before on the forum.

Onthebeach (and other 3rd party online facilitators) have been selling holidays to the likes of Stalis, Hersonissos, Malia, Koutouloufari, Piskopiano etc flying into Chania airport using, primarily, Ryanair to unsuspecting customers who do not realise how far it is away from their destination and the cost & logistical problems of getting from airport to their accom.

I responded to a post in Aug 2012 on this very issue where someone had bought a holiday from OTB and staying in Koutouloufari. It is a very long and arduous journey and, if you are not able to or not prepared to take the long bus journeys of several hours on the bus service option, a very costly one. I priced the private bus/shuttle option up at that time at £750 return minimum.

This is a very nasty tactic to snare unsuspecting customers into cheap holiday packages as they have put their trust into an agent to sell them a holiday not knowing of the unpleasant airport transfer awaiting them. Once the agent have their money they are not bothered about the customer and are consequently failing in a duty of care to them.

I agree something has to be done to try to stop this. It is ok for those who have been to Crete before and know how big it is and where places are relative to both Chania and Heraklion airports, but many have not and book a holiday through OTB and others "in good faith" not knowing of the logistical and potentially costly airport transfer problem they have bought into.

One way is to keep this issue live on these forums in the hope that as many people as possible read it and avoid getting caught. The other is for the regulatory authorities to get hold of it and deal with it and the agents who do this, though I wouldn't hold your breath on that one!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Hi mosoul

Are OTB using Monarch and EJ now? As npj says, in 2012 it was just RyanAir into Chania.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

I have just looked at a "dummy" booking on OTB website and you can fly Easyjet into Heraklion. However, the "headline" price of Ryanair into Chania is cheaper, so people who are not aware of the geograhy/logistics (and trusting in an ABTA protected agent like OTB to look after their requirements) are drawn towards said price.

Individual people should, of course, take some responsibility for their actions and do their own research before booking but the agent should also accept some of the responsibility when selling a holiday which has difficult and unrealistic airport transfer requirements. It should, at least, make people aware of this at the time of booking and should be made to do so by ABTA.

Moonee Ponds...
Level Contributor
6 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Hi, I did a dummy run myself and the top air fare from ALL LONDON AIRPORTS was Easy Jet into Chania. For the sake of less than ten pounds this fare is being offered by OTB. Soul destroying for families on a budget and not the greatest add for the company. I book all my hotels through online agents as I am so far away, I think I might give OTB a miss.

I spent 3 months in Crete in 2011, touring most of the island by public transport. and found it OK, when faced with the problem of getting into Bali or Agia Pelagia, I got off the bus on the main road and rang the hotel on my mobile, they either sent a taxi or came themselves. Village Panorama have two buses, one large, one small and will pick up sometimes. The bus from Ktel is not the only company running into Agia Pelagia now, but the new service has no stops other than Heraklion Agia Pelagia return and they are well used. I am again in Crete this year in July and August, I just hate the flight from Australia, but hey, It's worth it once you get there.

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Yes, it is worth it when you get there as Crete is such a great place.

I always go completely independent on my holidays since a few years ago when I had all sorts of trouble with a tour operator and I've never looked back. So the likes of OTB and similar never have the opportunity to "****** up" my holiday as it is all down to me.

Hope you have a great holiday to Crete later this year.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

book your own holidays yourselves...internet isn,t just for fun....when we use it, we save money and we have our independancy...last season (2012) way to many than usual were going to Heraklion and further to the east from chania airport...kostas from chania

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

>Individual people should, of course, take some responsibility for their actions and do their own research before booking but the agent should also accept some of the responsibility when selling a holiday which has difficult and unrealistic airport transfer requirements.<

Yes. The trouble is, most people who would fall for these reprehensible tactics do so they have no idea how big Crete is. They think of it as a Greek island", not realising that it's really a whole country. Every time this issue crops up I wonder what on earth can be done about it. You're right, npj60, that it should be kept alive here on the forum. One way to do that would be for all of us to keep bumping this thread up during the booking season, which is just hotting up. Shall we?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

Indeed we should!! Or Alabastron, what about starting a new thread, obviously we'd have to be a little careful what we say, but along the lines of " attention to all those booking a trip to Greece via the internet" and leave it at that. I'm sure we can then advise people accordingly. If the thread doresn't receive any traffic for a day or two, we can then bump it back up the forum.

I had a PM yesterday from a person who'd booked through OTB and had just discovered that he needed to arrange a transfer to Stalis from Chania. It's a despicable lack of truth from OTB and even if they somehow see the thread, they can hardly deny their practices

Edited: 15 February 2013, 09:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

That's a good idea, GB.

I also wonder if there might be a way of bringing this to ABTA's attention.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2013 Village Panorama/ onthebeach. Heraklion not Chania.

I'll have a mosey around the web and see if there's a way to contact them, I'm sure there must be.

Get answers to your questions about Agia Pelagia