We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Can anyone share their knowledge on travel between these resorts as what I've read there are only a few buses in the early part of the day. We will be staying at the Peninsula Hotel in September and would like to visit other resorts, and wonder if car hire would be essential? Any other tips regarding location of this hotel and evening entertainment would be welcome.

Quad Safari Peninsula
Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Stay Wet Diving Center
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Water Sports, Other Outdoor Activities, Scuba & Snorkeling
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Hi and welcome to the forums

Heraklion is definitely not a resort - it's the largest city in Crete, a somewhat chaotic place but definitely worth a visit. It's pretty close to Agia Pelagia, less than 30 minutes, but the buses (which run all day and well into the evening) run on the main road above Agia Pelagia. The road is a long way from the Peninsula, and quite a lot higher too - I would guess it's a 40 minute walk.

At the moment there are 2 buses a day between Heraklion to/from the centre of Agia Pelagia - I don't know if they will still be running in September.

Chania is the second city of Crete, more tourism can be seen there, but it is a pretty long way from Agia Pelagia - about 2+ hours by bus. Easier to get to is Rethymnon, in some ways a smaller version of Chania but without the spectacular harbour, again definitely worth a visit, buses again from the same place going the other way, about an hour.

Here is the current timetable along the north coast main road:

bus-service-crete.com/timetabledet.php…

and the one including the 2 a day which actually venture down into Agia Pelagia:

Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Thanks Steve, your info/links are helpful. Do U know if the buses will pick up/drop off on the main road? I don't mind a 40 min walk if it allows travel connections in the evening, would I be able to get a taxi though from/to the main road from the peninsula if I didn't feel like walking?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

There is a bus stop here, the wooden shelter:

http://tinyurl.com/q4x4gww

go back to the map (bottom left) and you'll see where it is. Although there isn't one on the other side of the road, I'm pretty sure that the buses will stop there as well. I see that the signpost just up the road says it's 3km to Agia Pelagia.

You will be able to get a taxi up to the main road, but getting one back down may be more difficult unless the taxi drivers wait for the buses - apart from that you should probably take a driver's card and phone up when you need it, or try and get a taxi going along the main road. But the walk back is downhill so easier than the walk up.

Incidentally, I reckon it's a good 4km from the hotel to the bus stop - and the bus stop is 150m above sea level.

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

My family and I will also be staying in Agia Pelagia at the beginning of August. The apartments we are staying at appear to be on the very outskirts of the town, closer to the main road. Would it make more sense for us to just get off at the main road rather than in town? One of my son's and his wife will be coming from Rethymno and I'm wondering if there are any buses that run into Agia Pelagia from that direction. Or would it be easier to get off on the main road (with suitcases) and walk to the Irida Apartments? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited: 26 July 2014, 18:23
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Thanks Steve, your info has been very helpful.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Joanne, there are apparently only 2 buses a day from Heraklion to Agia Pelagia, and none from Rethymnon, so you probably won't have much choice regarding where to get off.

The Irida partments look to me to be more or less in the middle of Agia Pelagia, so I would say it's not feasible to walk from the bus with luggage:

http://www.irida-apts.gr/

The buses between Heraklion and Rethymnon go along the yellow main road on that map.

gbwilson, no problem, glad I was able to help.

Brampton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

Thanks for your information Steve! I've passed it on to my son, along with the suggestion that he contact the hotel to see if they can arrange for a taxi to meet them at the bus stop on the main road. At least now they know what to expect.

8. Re: local buses between agia pelagia and chania and heraklion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Agia Pelagia
Recent Conversations