We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crete in july

Which Agia Galini hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
n.y.c.
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
crete in july

we will be returning to greece after a 40 year absence and want to spend a week in agia galini, where we lived for 4 months in 1971.

can anyone suggest a hotel that is within walking distance of the town but not in the center of it. one review of the hotel astoria seemed good. has anyone stayed there and, if so, how did you enjoy the room, breakfast, service. we will need air-conditioning since it will be in july. also, we will be renting a car in iraklion and using it for the week. any good experiences with car rental companies. we will be flying in from athens and spending one night in iraklion then we'll drive to agia galini. . any help you can provide us with will be much appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crete in july

Hi! We stayed at Hotel Iro in September, its at the top of the village so has great views of the village and harbour, but its only a few minutes walk down into the centre.

The rooms are basic but clean, and have A/C. They do offer a breakfast but the rooms also have kitchen facilities. There is also space outside to park your car. Their contact details are on www.agia-galini.com.

We also noticed Hotel Glaros whilst there, which looked really modern, its at the bottom of the hill into the village, just as the road bends to the left to go to the harbour.

We hired our car from Heraklion airport, through Economy car hire, and got a car through Sixt. Even though we booked economy size, they gave us a bigger car for the same price. This year we're going for a week in June and have found the best deals for car hire through Travelsupermarket.com.

Happy Hols!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crete in july

Have you really given sufficient thought to returning to a place you loved 40 years ago? You will find Agia Galini greatly changed. When I first passed through it 30 years ago, it was a small, lovely, seaside village. The last time I passed through it seven years ago, it was a huge and much less lovely seaside village. I know it is loved by many people who go back and enjoy themselves there year after year, but after 40 years you need to be prepared for the place you once loved to be a very different place from the place you loved.

I'm not saying "don't go" - I don't want to alarm you or discourage you, but you do need to be prepared.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crete in july

There is very nice hotel named Glaros, they have recently had a renovation. Find with google. Agia Galini is changed for sure, but like everywhere on the south coast it is not mass tourism from the north coast

n.y.c.
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crete in july

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with me. My husband found some videos on You Tube that were recently shot (within the last 3 years) in Agia Galini and our first impression was horror! It bares little resemblance to the place we lived in. The truth is we were recent college graduates at the time with little money so we, basically, stayed put in Galini and had a couple of excursions to other towns on Crete. We view this as an opportunity to return and see the changes and to see the rest of Crete. We want to stay at a hotel that is not in the heart of the town but a short walk down into it. Hotel Astoria seemed to satisfy that criteria.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crete in july

Hi there

It's a good, straightforward drive to Agia Galini from Iraklion with some stunning scenery as well. Take the E97 exit south off the New National Road, follow through Agia Varvara, Agii Deka, Mires and Timbaki and you're almost there, It'll take you about 100 minutes to drive at a steady pace but if it's during the daytime, there will be lots of pulling over for photographs.

The road passes very close to Phaistos and Agia Triada, and goes right past the site at Gortys so if you're in no rush, you could spend a very pleasant day making your way to Agia Galini

n.y.c.
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crete in july

We are in NYC and will be in Crete in the beginning of July. What car rental places would you recommend and when should we book the rental?

We will spend one night in Heraklion to recover from the 2 flights: one from JFK to Athens and the other from Athens to Iraklion. We will drive to Agia Galini the next morning. Also, could you recommend a hotel for one night in Heraklion? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crete in july

It's really impossible to recommend a hotel without some idea of what you your budget and your expectations. I can think offhand of at least two I might recommend, one basic but clean, comfortable, and cheap, one with more creature comforts and about twice as expensive. How much do you want to spend?

Edited: 14 March 2011, 22:47
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crete in july

I can recommend

http://www.justrentals.gr/index.html

for good cars at good prices, and without being stung for extra insurance costs. You can save about 10% if you book and pay well in advance.

n.y.c.
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crete in july

At this stage in our lives, we no longer look for the cheapest hotels nor the most luxurious. We'd like a very nice, clean hotel that is has the amenities one desires on vacation without paying a tremendous amount of money.

Edited: 15 March 2011, 13:24
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,213 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crete in july

You could try the Lato. http://www.lato.gr/

But I have NO idea if it will meet your idea of amenities, or of "a (non) tremendous amount of money", because you still haven't said what you are looking for or what you want to pay.

It really is helpful if, when asking questions here, you could be quite specific about what amenities you want (health club, pool, masseurs, restaurant, free wifi, etc) and what your budget is.

Edited: 15 March 2011, 14:13
Get answers to your questions about Agia Galini