We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agia Galini - worth a visit??

england
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Agia Galini - worth a visit??

I am travelling around Crete in the summer by myself. Is Agia Galini worth a week's stay? The Petra hotel gets quite good reviews if anybody knows it?

7 replies to this topic
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

Hi there

It's as good as anywhere on the south coast and is well placed to see some of the great sights that are relatively close to it, It's also on the regular bus route to Rethymno and Iraklion, so you'll find it easy to get about.

www.cretetravel.com/Bus_schedules

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

Hi,

Plakias, and Matala are more convenient places to stay. Much better beaches and more to see in the close vicinity. Ag. Galini is in solid 3rd position.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

Galini does have a certain charm, and is interesting because it is on the side of a hill, but the beach is not so good.

Kalamaki, north of Matala, is another option if you have transport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,161 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

The villages of the south west are even better, IMO. See my reply on "Cheap Family Holidays" close by.

Edited: 12 March 2011, 18:20
england
Level Contributor
19 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

I am intending to keep to the bus service and not hire a car so Agia Galini seems more accessible. Does anybody rate the Astoria Hotel there??

Edited: 12 March 2011, 18:33
Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

Hi,

Ag Gallini is nice to visit for about two days, any more and you will get bored.

Its a very touristy village built on a hill side and almost all (except front) means climbing steep streets. Some nice bars and restaurants dot the front and a nice walk along the harbour is good.

The beach is very poor and stoney and also not really situated in the centre.

You should also give a few days to Plakias and Matala if transport is not an issue. Busses are a bit infrequent and slightly unreliable, however, if you do use busses it becomes very much part of your holiday as the scenery is fantastic.

I also travel on my own but go mostly Sept/Oct and prebook fairly basic hotels as they can be very cheap and eating out is a given.

Enjoy....Derry9

North Wales
Level Contributor
170 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Agia Galini - worth a visit??

We stayed in Rethymnon last year and took the bus service to Agia Galini for a day trip. There are a very limited number of buses, and I would think 2 or 3 days in Agia Galini would be enough.

Reply to: Agia Galini - worth a visit??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agia Galini