We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

Which Imerovigli hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

We will be going to a wedding in Imerovigli the first week of September. Frommers writes that Astra Suites is the only way to go. Trip Advisor just gave Anastasis several awards.

I was wondering how far they both are form town? Someone mentioned Anastasis is a difficult walk uphill.

The pool suite at Astra is double the price of the best suite at Anastasis. Why is that?

Any advice is appreciated.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,473 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

Look at this map: santorini-hotels.info/santorini-island-santo…

Astra Apartments is Red #5 in F-10.

I think Anastasis is in E-8 or E-9 so you won't be far although it will require some uphill walking. How difficult that might be I'm not sure but it will be on a developed pathway with some steps in the mix.

California
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

I was going back and forth between the same two places last year, and I ended up choosing Anastasis based on TA recs. and I'm so glad I did. This is the most amazing place I've ever stayed. It was recently named #2 of the top 25 hotels in the world on a TA survey which doesn't surprise me. We didn't actually walk to the town, but I'm sure Despina will get you a driver if you need one. Depsina and her staff are the most kind, helpful, and wonderful people you'll ever want to meet.

New York City
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

How was the pool at Anastasis? I am worried it will be crowded that time of year and they have no rooms with pools to my knowledge? Thanks for all the helpful info!

Also, we prefer to walk as a way to burn off all the calories as I am sure we will be eating a lot! But if the walk is a nuisance we would easily avoid it and I would in the end be disappointed. If anyone has more details. Please advise. thanks!

California
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

We were there the first week in Oct. We only saw one other couple at the pool which is very pretty but is not heated--kind of chilly.

The path that runs from Fira to Oia is just outside the gate by the pool. We took the walk to Fira. I don't think you'd find the walk difficult.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

We have stayed at Anastasis Apartments twice, and if the pool is your determining factor, then you do not have a worry, (unless you are not there when it is cooler, as the pool is not heated.) It is extremely quiet and beautiful, and the climate in this hotel is very "coupled", so the pool is much more of a sensual private experience. If you plan to loudly party in the pool, this is not the place for you.

Anastasis is also not a full scale hotel (no restaurant, bar, spa, etc) and is much smaller, (only 10 rooms) which may account for the price difference. Despite these limitations, Anastasis is much more of a bargain.

Service is AMAZING, you will still be served wonderful and delightful items, and you will be awestruck by all the beauty and cleanliness of the hotel and the little extras Despina and her team will provide. It also accounts for its' ability to be outstanding as it provides personalized attention that one does not receive in a larger hotel.

We toured Astra Suites(as well as many other top listed hotels) while we were there, and many were beautiful too, with more amenities (that you pay for). However, there is a wonderful air to Anastasis that did not exist anywhere else. (I believe it to be a demanding pride in ownership by Despina and Team). We were glad that we did not spend the extra for a bigger hotel.

As far as a climb, we walked to Oia and Fira with no problems. The advantage Anastasis has is that the rooms are not a climb, once you arrive on the property, which cannot be said for many of the other hotels.

Just look at the review count. Out of 350 reviews, it is rated EXCELLENT by 341, and even the 2 that are average or below, do not blame the hotel. It is really special.

6. Re: Astra Suites or Anastasis Apartments

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 02:17