We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

We will be based in Kenmare next week, and I'm wondering about the weather. Does anyone know if the boat captains have started running out to Skellig Michael yet? We have Wed and Thursday flexible, and if there is any chance of it happening we will head down to the boats. Any advice on a specific company? We will be driving from Kenmare to the dock early in the morning if we find a trip that is going to go. Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

According to the Heritage Ireland website, Skellig Michael is not open until mid-May.

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

I wanted to let everyone know that based on TA reviews, I contacted Sean at Ballingskelligs Boats and he was very responsive. They plan to go every day, weather permitting, so we have reservations for Wednesday. i am thrilled with fingers crossed. The forecast for Kerry looks good, but I have no idea if that has any connection to conditions on the water.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,348 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

That's the problem with the Kerry coast. The weather on land can be beautiful and calm, but with mighty Atlantic swells coming ashore. That said event the sea forecast for the middle of next week is promising, so you could be in for a real treat

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

Thanks, soonas. I'll be thinking happy thoughts.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,602 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chance for the Skellings Next Week?

DC_Laure, if you make it out to Skellig Michael, could you report back on how it was? We're planning to be in that area in mid-May and I'm considering a trip to Skellig Michael if I think I can manage the boat trip and the heights climbing up to the monastery.

Also, let us know if Ballinskellig Boats was a good choice.

Thanks!

Reply to: Chance for the Skellings Next Week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Portmagee