We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Rota

Which Rota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rhod Island
8 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Rota

My Company is moving my family and I to Rota, Spain in Sept 2013. We have been looking for a nice, family neighborhood (we have 2 small children), not too far from the NAVY base, and close to the beach. From what I have read, Vistahermosa is the place to be. Are there particular parts to focus on within Vistahermosa? Is there anywhere that would be close to the beach and also close enough to walk to a "downtown" area? Any comments/info would be greatly appreciated!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,999 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Rota

Vistahermosa is one of the nicest and longest established neighborhoods in this part of the world. It is separate from El Puerto as well as Rota so you would need a car for doing anything and there are houses that are very close to great beaches. In fact a few of the lucky ones have views over the Bay to Cadiz. The houses tend to have walled gardens and good size plots so if you are lucky to bag one of those you need a gardener most likely. Quite a lot of the houses are used as family second homes for those who are wealthy to move down during those hot summer months when inland Spain gets roasty and work tends to slow down. So in winter months it may be quieter and feel a little more isolated from El Puerto.

The main beach running from the Vistahermosa side as far as Fuentebravía is one of my favorite ones along this coast. Worth looking at the town's web site as well :

www.turismoelpuerto.com/index.php?setLang=2

There may be some opportunities for renting in El Puerto itself perhaps and some nice parts especially along for example Avenida de la Constitución mean that you can walk into the center and people will be around.

I was recently in Rota itself and staying on the beach and have to say that both the town amenities and the beach here are excellent. The one beach that always appeals is called Punta Candor with its beach side facilities and lovely clean water and sand. Rota itself has much to offer so do not dismiss it especially as getting to the base is so easy. In fact the actual town beach at Rota is large and also nice and is within an easy walk of downtown. I especially like the old part of Rota. There is plenty of housing in the expanding town of Rota some modern and with neater plots than Vistahermosa. .

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Rota

BigSteve, PLEASE let us know how it works out for you and the family. I was in Rota in 1968 and 69 and have been back many times. Make sure you meet many locals, they are so much fun to be with. When l was there we had friends in Arcos, Ronda, and new lots of girls in Cadiz , San Fermando, and Chipiona. So any given week end we could end up anyplace.

You are going to love it there. I had a close friend that married a Spanish girl and worked in the exchange on base up untill the late 80s. Lost contact with him, he might have gone back, last time l saw him was in 1983.

Please take care. Hubie

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Rota

You are moving to a great place. You will probably love the Andalucian culture, you'll be by nice beaches and there are so many interesting places to visit in Spain.

4. Re: Moving to Rota

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Rota