We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip to Rota Spain

Which Rota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Trenton, New Jersey
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip to Rota Spain

This would be my first trip to Spain. What would the best things to see or do in a 2-5 day trip? Again first trip to spain and would like to have a great first expirience. Thanks to all who offer advice.

15 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Frank:

You can see Cadiz and Seville. I am sure you can take the bus from Rota.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,956 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Rota does have a catamaran ferry connection from the marina to Cadiz old port from where you can walk inside the old city area. It makes for a really good day excursion. Times of the ferry can be found on http://www.cmtbc.es/

Line B-065 Cádiz – Rota

siu.cmtbc.es/es/horarios_lineas.php…

Journey takes about 30 minutes.

It should be relatively easy to bus to Jerez. Here you find the sherry houses with big warehouses storing sherry in casks = Bodegas. Also in Jerez you have the riding school =Real Escuela with the shows if you are interested.

Try to get to El Puerto de Santa Maria as well for a change and walk along the river. There are a number of restaurants in the town and in summer it gets very busy.

Pilesgrove, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Frank , you should take the ferry to Cadiz and tour the city on an off and on bus and then when you see an area worth exploring get off the bus and go for it. I am a Space A traveler and have been to Rota several times. There are a lot of great places to eat and stay. I always rent a car on the base and day trip everyday unless we feel like chilling out and spend a day at the beach. I recommend a trip to Jerez to tour one of the many Sherry Bodegas and the trip not to miss is a visit to the Rock of Gibraltar

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Jerez is also worth a visit. If you like nature, a river trip from Sanlucar de Barrameda to La Dona is a great experience. Also lunch in Sanlucar along the river is great.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Jerez is also worth a visit. If you like nature, a river trip from Sanlucar de Barrameda to La Dona is a great experience. Also lunch in Sanlucar along the river is great.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,956 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Yes the river trip from Sanlucar from the river shore at Bajo de Guia is quite interesting but do not expect to see much wildlife of Doñana. The best part are the seafood places along this beach ! Casa Bigote is a fancy place

http://www.visitasdonana.com/?lang=en

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1080315…

http://www.restaurantecasabigote.com/

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Much of your trip planning will be depend on if you have two days or five days. For a two day trip I would suggest one day in Cadiz, using the ferry over and back, and one to Jerez for the bodega tour or the horse show. In five days you can do those trips plus a day or better an overnight trip to Sevilla. These can all be done using public transport. If you have a car available you could add a trip up to Arcos de la Frontera as a day trip to see one of the pueblos blancos.

If you are looking for accomodations in Rota I have the stayed in a wonderful, inexpensive apartment that has a veiw of the beach and is walking distance to the ferry, bus station and the naval base and it has free on-street parking!. We found it to be a perfect location for a week in Rota. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/338483?s=GFsN

Bethesda, Maryland
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

Any chance you flew space-a? We hope to go to rota or aviano in a couple weeks. We'd love to hear more about your trip.

Michele

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

No, we didn't go space-a although we are eligible. I lived in Rota as a teenager and my husband and I did a "walk down memory lane trip" through southern Spain last year. Rota is a nice little town with lots of restaurants and fabulous beaches. We used it as our base of operations for about 9 days of our almost 4 week trip to Spain. I can give you the full itinerary if you like, just let me know. But from Rota we did Jerez, Sanlucar, Cadiz, Gibraltar, Baelo Claudia Roman ruins, and other minor side trips just wandering around and spent some time at the beach Before we got to Rota we had visited Cordoba, Sevilla and stopped in Italica for more Roman ruins (can you tell I love ruins?). After Rota we did Arcos, Ronda, Benajoan for la Cueva de la Pileta, and then on to Malaga, the Sierra Nevadas, Granada, and finally back to Madrid.

For a short Rota trip you can do plenty of sights in day trips from Rota. For some of our hotel reservations and advice we used Paco's travel in Rota (www.viajesdifran.es). They arranged excellent, inexpensive hotels in Ronda and Malaga for us and gave excellent advice and directions for our trip to La Cueva de Pileta. It's not a bad drive or bus trip from Rota to Sevilla as a day trip but I think that to spend only a few hours in Sevilla is a total waste. I LOVE Sevilla and could spend weeks there although at this time of year it will be HOT, HOT, HOT. It will be cooler in Rota and Cadiz, which is another of my very favorite places.

If you stay in Rota and have a car you will need to get a base pass every couple of days to cut through the base for your day trips. The way the base sits geographically it is difficult to get in/out of Rota without a going around the whole base unless you have a base pass to cut through. It is easy to get at the main Rota gate and we found it to be no trouble to stop for one every couple of days.

If you have any questions or want more info just let me know. I so envy you a trip to Spain. We were planning to return this year but got sidetracked by family weddings and will need to postpone until next year.

Please report back on your trip and Space-A experience. I keep thinking that sometime we will try the Space-A route to Spain.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip to Rota Spain

I read your reply to someone else about Rota. My friend and I (in our 60's) will be going next year and I am trying to figure out what restaurants to visit and places to go. I do want to go to Seville, Madrid and Lisbon. We will be exchanging houses in Rota for 2 weeks in May. Is that a good time of year to go?

Thank you

C. Bedford

Reply to: 1st trip to Rota Spain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rota