We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in puerto rico

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in puerto rico

Hi we arrive on the 21st November for one week, just a couple of questions, we are staying at the cala nova, when you first arrive do you have to carry luggage up a load of steps, I dont mind but like to be prepared, also on our first night we normally just go for something nice and simple to eat due to being tired from travelling, can any one recommened any where close by to the appartments until we get our bearings the next day, thanks in advance.

Here, there and...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

I think the answer to the steps is yes. I can picture the apartments and the access from street level but not been as far in as reception. Am sure someone will be able to confirm if that is not the case.

In terms of food. Come straight out of apartments and follow steps down and to the right to the main commercial centre.

First restaurant you come to is Sabidans,. Cheap, cheerful and basic food. Everyone raves about their spit roast chicken. Otherwise carry on into the main CC and there are lots of restaurants to chose from.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 16:21
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

The answer is NO( sorry to contradict you Ruthie ) ,please dont be like me on my first visit there ....you are dropped of on the roadside and as you enter the steps face you but just to your right is a lift upto pool and reception level ,how i missed it god knows .LOL.

If you turn right out of the complex and head towards Cala Dor there are steps down ,if you turn left and then right you can get down to the Commercial Centre that way too ,imo a better route more so for ladies in heels and anyone with walking disabilities .

Commercial centre ...if you use the road route ,entering with MacDonalds at your back approx three quarters of the way in on the left is "San Miguels" very nice ,well approved by many here on TA .It often gets a queue build up ,which again is a good pointer ,but your soon seated but never rushed out .sited near the La Coste shop if you see that first .If you continue past nearly to the back ,2nd floor up is a Chinese eat as much as you want buffet,but only go if your really hungry to gain advantage .There are others left and right of the centre but i prefer their choices .At the side of the Commercial centre up from the taxi rank on the centres outer edge is Bacon canario this is well used by locals another great sign ,should you want something a little more authentic .If you come down via the steps you will see Balcon Canario just right of the crossing .Also should you head straight through from the crossing you are very close to San Miguels .Everyone has their favourites in the Commercial Centre these are just mine .

Taxis from your hotel ...you are best if reception cant phone or get through to stand on the corner left as you go out ,firstly more chance of taxis passing heading further up ,plus its nearer than going past the front of your hotel which is built at the start of the oneway system so not so expensive to get to anywhere in the resort .Though i often prefered to walk down via the road to the taxi rank at the side of the Commercial centre its often quicker than phoning and waiting .

Supermarkets ...you have Hiperdinos at the start of the Commercial Centre facing MacDonalds ,but there is one on the outer edge just past Balcon Canario,its Canarian owned ,used by many locals ,sometimes certain items are cheaper than hiperdinos .But mainly i use it because you pick your own Fruit and Veg .Sometimes the pre packed sold elsewhere is either not enough so you need to packs or visa versa .

Tips ...try to get your luggage on the right side of the coach as you sit facing the driver ,this is pavement side rather than on the road .One of your party nip onto the bus and get seats the other try to hold back with your luggage so yours comes off first .

Unless they have changed the tiles around the pool as there is no lip or step in it can become slippery ,so please becareful .Especially if your carrying sandwiches !!! God they were soggy after that !!! LOL

Hope this helps ,and you have a fantastic time

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

Just to add ...there is a current thread on Balcon Canario which maybe worth a read ....

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

Thank you for your reply had to laugh at the soggy sandwiches was alcohol

involved. lol

Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
716 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

Have to agree with onelegnofeet about San Miguels in the commercial centre, we eat there all the time when in Puerto Rico,the food is lovely and not expensive, we will be eating there a few times again when we go back in may.

Also going to try Harry's room for our sunday lunch as they look delicious, just hacve to locate his new resaurant first lol

Edited: 02 November 2011, 11:25
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

Moo13 ,no i havent drunk for years but i do wake up "legless " every day now !!!LOL. I had just come back from the cafe over the road with some sandwiches in a bag ,thought i would nip round the edge of the pool ....big mistake !!!

Made it worse on surfacing with people with numbers held up for my dive !!!

So to to you both have a fantastic time ,any room for a big un ?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

I hope you got all tens if it was me I would have caused a tsunami, lol

Kilmaurs, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

have 2 agree san miguels is great

Rugeley, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

We ate in Harry´s 2 days ago,lovely food and proper home made chips,If you know where funny boys drag show place is,turn left and Harry´s is right on the end of the commercial centre next door to "The Pub" which is run by Kimberley and Steve from West Brom.

Brian

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in puerto rico

helping you find Baron Ts post of Harrys if you follow my directions in my first post about the eat as much as you want chinese "Ladyboyz "is just past the chinese.Or the floor above the canarian supermarket

Edited: 05 November 2011, 15:58
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico
Recent Conversations